Author Topic: Moose billet buying advice  (Read 4554 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Moose billet buying advice
« on: May 29, 2013, 03:24:21 pm »
I'm tring to put together my first knapping kit.  Now I'm playing with ABO and modern tools.  I was considering getting a moose billet and saw they are pretty pricy ($30-$100).  Please let me know if you have any buying advice as to size or characteristics.  At this time i'm working with preforms and smaller pieces (of course).  Thanks!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline aaron

Re: Moose billet buying advice
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 10:27:40 pm »
the best billets are not from sheds, but from antlers which have been cut off the skull. Ideally, they should be cut close to the skull, as that is the densest part. If they are from sheds, the less weathered, the better. the best way to get billets is trading. Figure out what you have that may be rare in places where moose live- I have traded some moose for obsidian it was a great deal for us both- he lives where there are moose but no obsidian, I live where there is obsidian but few moose.
The one I use most is about 1 3/4 at the widest part and 6 inches long. with this I can take flakes in obsidian up to about 4-6  inches long. I use it to make bifaces from 4-10 inches or so and on the finer flaking of bigger pieces. For longer flakes, I have a big one that's 2 1/4 dia and 8 inches long- with this I can make obsidian flakes the size of my whole hand. I use it for roughing out really big stuff and for large flakes on early stage bifaces in the 5-15 inch range. On the smaller side, I have one that's 1 1/4 dia, used for small flakes of an inch or two.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 03:01:07 am »
Moose billets are for large jobs.  I bought enough moose antler to make a couple but I end up using my hammerstones instead.  Go figure.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 09:46:16 am »
Moose billets are for large jobs.  I bought enough moose antler to make a couple but I end up using my hammerstones instead.  Go figure.

That depends on the size of the billet.  Remember the paleo claw? 

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 09:58:30 am »
I learned a trick from Roger Warmuskerken to strengthen antler billets that works really well.  Sand the billet end as close to round as you can get it, then soak it in c.a. glue (super glue available in bulk at hobby shops).  Take a plastic soda bottle and cut the top off and pour about an inch of glue into the bottom, then soak the billet for several hours. Let it cure a day or so afterwards and your billet will last longer.  The glue will be absorbed into the antler and will strengthen it and extend it's working life.

Not very abo, but neither is spending money on antler. ;)

I use about 8 different antler billets and this trick has really helped.

Jim

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:04:36 am by Hardawaypoints »
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 10:42:10 am »
Interesting with the super glue. I bet it would also allow you to use elk more readily by allowing the porous core to become solidified. May have to experiment.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956