Author Topic: Looking for a source for spruce lumber near Portland OR  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Patches

Looking for a source for spruce lumber near Portland OR
« on: May 29, 2013, 10:16:13 am »
I am going to be in the Portland, Oregon area at the end of July.  Can anyone from that part of the country tell me if there is a lumber yard or lumber supplier where I can go buy a few boards of Sitka spruce lumber for arrows?  I will be all over the NW part of Oregon, so anywhere within 2 hours of Portland would be helpful.  Thanks for any information! 

Neal   
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Looking for a source for spruce lumber near Portland OR
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 11:42:42 am »
I don't know of any companies specifically but you shouldn't have a hard time finding sitka lumber in or near Portland.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:51:48 am »
I'm two hours west of portland in Ilwaco , WA. I have some sitka spruce lumber that a friend milled. I'd be interested in a trade. Otherwise, you could probably find some at a store called "woodcrafters" in portland.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

UserNameTaken

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 03:00:26 pm »
Neal, try crosscut hardwoods. They've got more specialty wood than anybody else in Portland.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:42:27 am »
I'd go with Crosscut. Woodcrafters can be spendy. If your looking for exotics check out Gilmers.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 12:54:59 am »
Crosscuts number is 503-224-9663 and there at 3065 nw Front ave. Portland Or. I just checked there web page and they have dimensional lumber.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 04:25:49 am »
Last time I was at crosscut in Eugene, they had some nice tight grained sitka spruce, I was even contemplating making some sinew backed bows out of it....but I'm poor. :)  Nice guy though, the manager Keith makes bows and showed me around, real nice guy.

Offline Patches

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 02:40:21 pm »
Thanks for the information everybody! 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Lemos

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 12:59:44 am »
Just out of curiosity, whatcha going to be doing in my neck of the woods? Give me a holler if you need any local help finding the good stuff if you want I'm only 40 minutes south in Salem and I travel through Portland for work in Longview Washington.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 03:08:32 am »
Hi Patches, I'm in Portland and happy to help when you get here,  I'll send you a PM with my contact info.  If I'm in town (travel a lot) I'll show you around and maybe we can meet up with some of the NW boys for a shoot.

Lemos, were you at the Shot through the heart Valentine shoot?
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Lemos

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 04:17:37 am »
Nope got sidetracked. Check the stick and sage post I'm headed there.

Offline Patches

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 03:22:25 pm »
I am going to Portland to get married.  All my fiance's family are in that area, and her dad is doing the ceremony.  So the first week I am out there will be all wedding stuff.  The second week though I will hopefully have a day (or at least an afternoon) to look for arrow wood we can't get in MO, and maybe just look around.  It will be my first trip to Oregon so looking forward to it.  It would be great to meet some of my fellow bow making addicts from that part of the world too!    ;D