Author Topic: re-hydrating yew?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Squirrelslayer

re-hydrating yew?
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:13:01 pm »
Hey everybody I was given a yew short bow in need of some work. The guy running the course said that the wood is too dry and is "dead" so is there any way to put moisture  back into the wood? The bow is backed with snakeskin and even has a really dark lamination of purple heart in the handle area. If it can't be re-hydrated then ill probably just put a handle wrap on it and rub it down with some wax and keep it as a wall hanger. If anyone could offer up any suggestions that would really help. Thanks, SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: re-hydrating yew?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:42 pm »
you have to bring the RH(relative humidity) up if the MC of the wood is around 6 or so then you need to basically keep it in the bathroom until its gained enough MC. Restoring bows to working condition is ALWAYS a gamble. You have to work the limbs very carefully. Exercise them slowly, best way would be to exercise the limbs one inch at a time, 25 times at the lower inches that your doing per inch, then 50 as you get back to farther draws. Always wear thick cloths and some kind of safety glasses. These steps as well as looking on google for restoring old antique bows would be a keep to your success.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:30:15 pm »
Just brace it and yank it back, its fine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 03:41:44 pm »
What PD said.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 04:30:19 pm »
Give it a nice hot bath tht might work
I like osage

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:31:54 pm »
grip it and rip it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 09:25:24 pm »
Do you know what kind of sealant is on it ie: wax or oil? That would help determine which way to rehydrate it. Do you have a moisture meter ? Or have access to one? Also it sounds like a nice bow, please throw some pics our way
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:35:57 pm »
The wood is just as dry/wet as any other wood in the same environment. There is a theory that yew gets more brittle with age but if that's the case then it's not any drier than other woods and there's likely nothing you can do to make that better. So either shoot it or don't but I wouldn't worry about trying to rehydrate it or anything like that.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 01:35:37 am »
What made him decide the bow was to dry/dead to shoot any more, be interested in pictures.
I like free stuff.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 05:02:21 am »
Thanks guys for theese great suggestions. It feels like there is no spring in it when I hold it as if I was floor tillering it. Ill shoot some pics of it and try to upload them tonight.  But I lost access to my computer so im using my phone for this post. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 04:45:25 pm »
I agree with what Weylin said. If will find equalibrium with the moisture and the relative humidity once it is in an area for a few days.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC