Author Topic: Bulrush Arrows?  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Jacob Parnell

Bulrush Arrows?
« on: June 30, 2013, 08:10:12 pm »
Hey!

I have like a thousand bulrushes in a field beside my house.  Would I potentially be able to make nice arrows out of these?  If not, what other weeds or woods could I use to make them out of? 
FYI: I live in the Kawartha Lakes area.
 :)
Thanks!
.   (
     \
      )
-)))-------->
      )
     /
    (

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bulrush Arrows?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 08:28:39 pm »
Kawartha Lakes where?  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jacob Parnell

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 10:10:15 pm »
Kawartha Lakes where?  ???

Peterborough, Lindsay and the surrounding area.  It's in Ontario, Canada.
.   (
     \
      )
-)))-------->
      )
     /
    (

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:51:52 pm »
Curiousity..........what size are the shafts.? ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Jacob Parnell

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 10:36:22 pm »
Curiousity..........what size are the shafts.? ???

Well at the tip of the reed it is about 1/4 of an inch and the thickest part is 1/2 and inch.
.   (
     \
      )
-)))-------->
      )
     /
    (

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 03:02:30 am »
I live way down south, so I don't know what kinds of weeds you have growing around there.  I have made arrows from dog fennel, golden rod, and horse weed.  They are not the most durable materials, but in a pinch, they will make an arrow.  Horse weed dries a deep chestnut brown color and makes a good looking arrow.  I have found horse weed to be sturdy enough to cut self nocks into them.  I think the weight of these type materials is an issue.  I had to use shafts of 3/8" diameter or even larger to have enough spine to make a 28" arrow.   Cane is my favorite - it outlasts everything else I have tried.  Work with what you have.  Cut some and bundle it up, dry it out and see if they will shoot. Let us know how it works out.     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Jacob Parnell

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 11:00:10 am »
I live way down south, so I don't know what kinds of weeds you have growing around there.  I have made arrows from dog fennel, golden rod, and horse weed.  They are not the most durable materials, but in a pinch, they will make an arrow.  Horse weed dries a deep chestnut brown color and makes a good looking arrow.  I have found horse weed to be sturdy enough to cut self nocks into them.  I think the weight of these type materials is an issue.  I had to use shafts of 3/8" diameter or even larger to have enough spine to make a 28" arrow.   Cane is my favorite - it outlasts everything else I have tried.  Work with what you have.  Cut some and bundle it up, dry it out and see if they will shoot. Let us know how it works out.   

Thank you! will do.  How long do you dry your canes for?
.   (
     \
      )
-)))-------->
      )
     /
    (

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 02:24:30 am »
I tie them into bundles of a dozen and let them dry for three months.  I read an interesting post on quick drying them in an oven, but I have never tried that.  The bamboo tomato stakes in the gardening section of some of the big home supply stores will make a good arrow and don't cost much. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi