Author Topic: Looking for adrive on handle/grip  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Matt B

Looking for adrive on handle/grip
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:16:51 pm »
Hey, so I'm finishing up my first bow (didn't get around to working on it all winter) I just finished putting on the polyurethane. I have an old leather apron I cut up and a long strip of adhesive backed suede that I'm thinking of using.

The bow had absolutely no handle shape at all as is, I was thinking of cutting some strips of the apron about 5 inches long or so and gluing them on the belly to raise it out a bit and fit the hand a lot better. I picked up some barge cement (heard it was a good multipurpose) Would I need to sand off the poly before I glue the leather pieces on? or is it fine to leave it alone?

After I get those on I was just going to wrap it all with the suede strip to hide the ugly apron leather. I currently don't have an arrow rest either, and was thinking of doing something.

Does what I described sound like a good idea? do I need to remove the poly before I glue? Any other suggestions or advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Offline Joec123able

Re: Looking for adrive on handle/grip
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:38:06 pm »
I never glue any handle wraps to my handles because they can wear out and it will be easier to replace later
I like osage

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:11:36 pm »
Here is what I do. It works good for me and it's simple.
It is jute that is covered in TB III.
Hope this helps,

Greg

Offline Matt B

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 11:32:03 pm »
hmm, may be a good idea not to glue on then, I definitely need to put something on it to raise the belly for sure though, its far to wide and flat to feel natural in the hand. Maybe I can tie the leather up with some fishing line and wrap either that suede or try something like jute.

I have some pondering to do, anyone feel free to add their 2 cents

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 11:38:20 pm »
What do you mean to raise the belly ??? Do you mean make the handle thicker ???
I like osage

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 12:09:31 am »
When I wrap a leather handle on a bow I always glue with barge cement right over the poly or tru-oil finish just as you described.
I've done at least 50 bows like this and never had a problem. I've gone back and replaced a few of those leather wraps for a better
looking leather or for a different look and all came off easily even though they were tight before I removed them. Padding out the
belly or back with leather as you described to fit your hand also works well. Its like anything else, a little practice and trial and error
and you'll have a nice wrap. :)
Show us your results, good luck Matt.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Matt B

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 12:10:19 am »
What do you mean to raise the belly ??? Do you mean make the handle thicker ???

lol, yeah, that's exactly what I mean, I describe things stupidly sometimes :)

Offline Matt B

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 12:21:09 am »
When I wrap a leather handle on a bow I always glue with barge cement right over the poly or tru-oil finish just as you described.
I've done at least 50 bows like this and never had a problem. I've gone back and replaced a few of those leather wraps for a better
looking leather or for a different look and all came off easily even though they were tight before I removed them. Padding out the
belly or back with leather as you described to fit your hand also works well. Its like anything else, a little practice and trial and error
and you'll have a nice wrap. :)
Show us your results, good luck Matt.
Well in that case! haha

Okay well I'll figure something out and should be bale to get it done and pics up within the week hopefully. Then I can start my second bow! this time I convinced my girlfriend to let me teach her how to make one at the same time... Disaster incoming

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 12:27:41 am »
Ive recently started using jute twine for my handle wraps. Love the stuff! For an arrow rest just go with  floppy style using some leather or suede. You can wrap it in while you wrap the handle with the twine like this:
Where there's a will, there's a bow.

PA subscription #: PM108452

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 12:36:23 am »
Where there's a will, there's a bow.

PA subscription #: PM108452

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 03:08:09 am »
Barge cement is just a contact cement.  It can be removed easily and any residue can just be rubbed off with your fingers.  Should work fine for building up your handle.

A wedge cut from a piece of cork makes a nice arrow rest too.  Some people use golf tees as well (sanded flat on one side).

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 05:37:23 am »
Gordon has some great build alongs showing how to build up a handle with rawhide and fishing line.  He shows how to build the arrow rest too.  I've used the golf tee and it works great.  A few pieces of hard leather glued together and then shaped with a file will make a fine rest as well.  Hope this helps.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 08:41:32 am »
Along with some of the other methods used, I have used strips of carpet tape (2 sided) to hold the handle leather in place securely. It works great and is a little less permanent.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 02:32:59 pm »
I use thinned out waterproof wood glue of all handles. Put on some glue and brush on some water. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 03:14:12 pm »
I use white glue and jute cord for handles, cheap, easy, and looks traditional :)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"