Author Topic: Best scraper/scrapers  (Read 3300 times)

Offline DuBois

Best scraper/scrapers
« on: May 24, 2013, 10:10:46 am »
I need to get a good scraper for tillering. I been using a lockblade knife so far but I think I better invest in some better tools. What do you think is the best one and where from? Thanks, Marco.

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Best scraper/scrapers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 10:27:42 am »
Check out Lee Valley online...do a search for their "Super-Hard Curved Scraper Sets"  It runs about $14 and you get 4 different style/shape scrapers...I love the goose neck one for character bows too!  Good luck.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 03:15:57 pm »
Will do. Thanks Lee

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 03:46:17 pm »
Lee do you recommend the .4mm or .6mm?  Which one do you use?

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 03:56:17 pm »
I like the .6mm best as I find the .4mm flex just a touch more than I like and you can end up with a slight hump.  I have both thickness but use the .6mm more often...they make life sooo much easier when chasing a difficult or thing ring.  Good luck!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 04:24:59 pm »
The key to a good scraper is the edge you put on it.  Putting a good edge on a scraper takes a little know-how.  I follow Dean Torges method and get great results (explained in detail in Hunting the Osage Bow).  I could try to explain it in three easy steps, but it wouldn't do you any good.  One quick tip I can tell you though is that you do not need an expensive burnisher for putting a good edge on.  You just need some very hard steel with a round blemish free edge.  I use the back-side of my needle-nose pliers and it works great.   

I love using a scraper around someone who has never seen one before....there is this disbelief that this unassuming square piece of steel can pull long clean curls away from a wood bow stave.  ;D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 04:36:38 pm »
Thanks for the info, I'll have to add those to my wish list ;)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 05:04:32 pm »
The key to a good scraper is the edge you put on it.  Putting a good edge on a scraper takes a little know-how.  I follow Dean Torges method and get great results (explained in detail in Hunting the Osage Bow).  I could try to explain it in three easy steps, but it wouldn't do you any good.  One quick tip I can tell you though is that you do not need an expensive burnisher for putting a good edge on.  You just need some very hard steel with a round blemish free edge.  I use the back-side of my needle-nose pliers and it works great.   

I love using a scraper around someone who has never seen one before....there is this disbelief that this unassuming square piece of steel can pull long clean curls away from a wood bow stave.  ;D

Any other inexpensive things you can use as burnishers? I am using some screw driver I have that is made of some crazy hard metal right now, but it is not working super great. I have thought of using a marble rolling pin, but than again I am thinking it will just scratch the marble and not work at all.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 05:38:17 pm »
Lee valley also sells a small burnisher ( just a small piece of carbide in a handle) Don't remember the cost ,as I bought it 20+ years ago. The only one I ever needed . Tried the big, fancy one and didn't really like it.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 05:42:35 pm »
$ 7.50 works better than a screw driver etc. Easy to control

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 05:48:20 pm »
How do you sharpen those curved ones?
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 10:21:39 pm »
7.50 is not bad.  If you can't manage that maybe try your local machinest for a worn out bearing reamer. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 10:54:23 pm »
How do you sharpen those curved ones?
Slowly and carefully ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 11:52:07 pm »
My best scraper is one I made from a circular saw blade.  I put a good edge on it when I made it several years ago and it is still working great. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline dbb

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 08:03:01 am »
I use a roundfile,the uncut part next to the handle to burnish my scraper.
That works pretty well.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...