Author Topic: Obsidian Point  (Read 1684 times)

Offline RyanY

Obsidian Point
« on: June 02, 2013, 12:51:04 pm »
Just a narrow obsidian point from a flake. I was so focused on small stuff on this one that I didn't even think about trying to remove the curvature of it. Overall the cross section and thickness is more even than the last. But it makes me wonder how a slightly curved point would affect arrow flight and penetration. All new stuff to me. Anyways thanks for looking!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Obsidian Point
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 01:53:01 pm »
I have seen many pre-historic points along the columbia and snake rivers here in Washington and Oregon,that had much more curvature than yours,many had been resharpened and obviously used a great deal.  ' Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:18:14 pm »
Thats sweet. Here's another. Tried notching for the first time but couldn't get it as narrow as i wanted and settled for the larger grooves.  :-\

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:35:50 pm »
Ryan, what tool you using to try an get your narrow entry notchs? Make sure your basal area is thin, then try a horse shoe nail ;D Bob

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:44:06 pm »
Looking good buddy.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:25:26 am »
Dude, if those are some of your first points I'd say you are ahead of the curve!
1’—>1’

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 10:00:03 am »
Very fine points! I use a broken deer ulna bone ground down thin to notch glass or obsidian. You'll have to experiment to find what works best for you. Great beginnings, keep it up!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 10:26:28 am »
Nice points

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 08:37:16 pm »
Thanks guys! I was using the tip of a needle file but I think it was just crushing the platform and the tail end was too thick.

Stringman

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 09:36:27 am »
You're doin good work, Ryan. I have much more success when I get my bases thinner. If they are thick, then you tend to overpush and sometimes break ears off. I remember when I first started knapping I would lay in bed at night working out flake problems. Everything seemed to revolve around the knappin pit. Good luck to you and your addiction!