Author Topic: New Crossbow Build - Various photos  (Read 7842 times)

Offline Dane

Re: New Crossbow Build - Various photos
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 07:10:27 pm »
Dave, I think I get the second question. I mount the bow at about a 6 degree angle. The reason for that is that at full draw, you want the string to be centered on the bolt, which rests on the tiller top in the bolt groove. The string will be clear of the tiller top through most of the release, and rests lightly on the tiller top (called the table) when the string is at rest. There will be no torque at all on the prod because you made the back of the tiller socket at that approx. 6 degree angle. If it was mounted with the back of the prod socket straight up and down, the torque would be impossible, and the string would be worn out within a shot or two. Be sure to keep in mind that you don't want the prod socket so tight that it causes the tiller to split, as there are a lot of forces involved in that area.

For the first question, the string should be centered on the prod, just the same as if it were a self bow.

Here are two illustrations to show what I am talking about. Let me know if this makes sense.

Those measurements assume you are using the exact same prod as I am. The specs for this prod are 110 lbs at 11.5" from the back of the prod to the nut fingers. 3.5" at brace, and an 8" draw length / power stroke. You would of course adjust for any prod you make or get, so if you have a wooden prod / bow that is braced at say 5", and your draw was an additional 10", the nut finger point will be 15" from the back of said prod.

Hope that clarifies.

Dane
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:17:54 pm by Dane »
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 07:15:44 pm »
could cast epoxy work for a nut? or a steel-reinforced wood? I only have a tiny amount of osage....

Cast epoxy may, but I have never heard of anyone trying that. You would need a mold, for one thing. Delrin can be purchased from online plastic dealers for only a small amount in the form of round bars. Why reinvent the wheel?

For steel reinforced wood, that is actually a medieval practice. You would want the grain configuration running up and down so the fingers of the nut don't sheer off under draw weight. Drill and sink two steel rods into the fingers and all the way through the nut. 1/8" at least, but 3/16" would be even better. I know one crossbow maker who uses hardwood for his nuts, and his bows are hunting weight. Choose a very strong hardwood if you go that route such as ash.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 07:21:27 pm »
Man, I hear ya Dane...
This is quite a Blood Thirsty "Hobby"...  :)

I don't know Del... That Old Lathe looks pretty Played Out...
But beings I'm Such a nice guy, I'd be happy to Row Over and take it off your hands...  >:D
It looks Lovely from Here...

-gus

One of the prime ways a demon inside a machine can be released on a slaughter spree is when someone bleeds on said machine. Keep that in mind always. :) 

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 07:50:17 pm »
I hear ya Dane... And agree.

I take the Blooding of my Tools and Weapons seriously...
I charge All of my weapons, Blade, Bow and Firearm with my own LifeBlood.
Always have even as a child. Superstition? Maybe... But it has worked for me.

I think the saying of which you speak refers to blooding someone else's weapon.
Or perhaps a weapon built, charged or used under questionable conditions...

I also soak my Tools and Weapons in the light of a Full Moon.
And Cleanse Tools and Weapons in Earth.

I burn Tobacco and Pray over my Tools and Weapons as well...

Who's to say?
Guess I won't know the truth of it all till I step into the Next World...
Maybe...

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Dane

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 04:16:35 am »
Gus, if you get there before me, try and come by and let me know what to expect. Beers are on me. :)

Seriously, though, I've felt and seen enough ghosts in my lifetime to be a little humble about the "afterlife." Not as bad as The Six Sense, but enough to know I have a gift (dubious perhaps) of some sort. Last one was a child named Don, who I think likes me, or at least puts up with me enough that I am not too worried, but I still won't sleep in his former room.

I do have a friend who can't go into antique stores. She hears far too many voices attached to the old things, and they don't always have pleasant things to say. Tools are such powerful things and we invest so much our ourselves in them, that I can understand what she is dealing with. The particular store in question I got a wonderful old broad hatchet at last summer that was likely used by a ship's carpenter, since the entire collection was from a guy who specializes in nautical things.

More work last night, and the finger is healing. Looks like I will make my personal June deadline. So, more photos soon.

Dane