Author Topic: New Crossbow Build - Various photos  (Read 7843 times)

Offline Dane

New Crossbow Build - Various photos
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:17:22 am »
Hi, kids.

You may recall my creating a thread for a Spanish crossbow around the end of last year. Here is a new project that is coming along well, and the primary purpose of this one is to try out some new or modified design and building processes.

I won’t make this very detailed, but just post some pictures and answer any questions anyone may have.

Basically, though, this is another Spanish crossbow, made from yellow heart, as was the last one (since I had some leftover wood and find this particular wood just so nice to work with), but I have modified the design to allow for the use of a foot stirrup to span the bow, something that wasn’t done with the actual historical bows. They were military weapons, and so had a relatively high draw weight of 500 lbs. +. That of course was more than sufficient against the lightly armored / unarmored enemies the Spanish were facing in the New World. And since they had higher draw weights, they were never built to be spanned by hand, but with goat’s foot levers.

I expect this weapon to be done in the next few weeks, in time for the New England Primitive Skills Gathering in Woodbury, CT in June. Always a great event, it will be fun to run the 3D course with this crossbow (not for score, of course).

Enjoy.

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

Re: New Crossbow Build - Various photos
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:20:55 am »
Last shot was the tiller blank planed and ready to be worked on. Here are more shots:

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:27:35 am »
More shots.

That is all for now. Thanks for looking. Ask questions if you wish. More pics as I take them.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:52:57 pm »
looking good dane
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 06:50:24 pm »
Dude, BEAUTIFUL! I like traditional crossbows(wood stock and steel or wood prod).
They are pretty and awesome:P
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Dane

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 06:09:00 am »
Thanks, bubby. And thanks, Thesquirrelslinger. I find crossbows addictive. I have three going at once right now.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 06:36:07 am »
Loking Good Sir!

I do enjoy watching your Work...  :)

-gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 06:48:52 am »
Always good to see your stuff Dane.
I've just got myself a small lathe (19" bed) off FleaBay. The spindle and front bearing were worn, so I sent if off to be built up and reground. It came back this morning, it's superb :).
Gonna be handy for turning nuts and stuff for crossbows. Can't wait to get it up and running, I was building a new bench last week and we are just setting off to my Mum's for her 90th Birthday... so I gotta wait another day or so.
Looking forward to the next step of your build.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 07:07:43 am »
I'm liking the look of that crossbow! SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 07:36:13 am »
Gus, thanks so much. Last night, I found out (again) just how razor sharp those little curlicues of steel are after drilling a hole for my trigger pivot pin; suffering for my art again. :) This one should be done in the next two weeks, if I don't loose too much blood.

Del, that is a BEAUTIFUL little lathe. It should look right handsome when you restore it and have it working again. A 19" bed will be more than enough for crossbow parts. Happy b-day to your mom, too.

Thanks, Squirrelslayer.

Dane

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 07:39:46 am »
is that trigger round trigger thing made from horn? looks smart. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Dane

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 07:46:41 am »
I think you mean the nut. It is actually made from Delrin, an engineered thermoplastic. The color does make it look a bit like horn, which is why I chose that color. Nuts can be made from a variety of materials, including steel, brass, synthetics, and antler. I avoid actual horn, as it can delaminate. I'd say 75 percent of the nuts I make are antler, but that is an expensive option. A stem sufficiently large will run about 80 dollars, vs. less than a dollar for the same amount of Delrin.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 04:32:35 pm »
Man, I hear ya Dane...
This is quite a Blood Thirsty "Hobby"...  :)

I don't know Del... That Old Lathe looks pretty Played Out...
But beings I'm Such a nice guy, I'd be happy to Row Over and take it off your hands...  >:D
It looks Lovely from Here...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 06:15:27 pm »
could cast epoxy work for a nut? or a steel-reinforced wood? I only have a tiny amount of osage....
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 06:39:58 pm »
I have a (possibly confusing) question. Actually, a couple.

If I were to make a wooden prod, would it be better to make it such that the string bisects the handle as per hand bows, or offset?

When mounting the prod to the tiller, do you want it to be that the string on the tiller is not applying torque to the prod at brace, or at full draw, or somewhere in between?

Does that make sense?

Dave
Articles for the beginning bowyer, with Australian bowyers in mind:

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/articles/tutorials