Author Topic: Short bow Question  (Read 1842 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Short bow Question
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:51:10 pm »
I'm stepping way out of my comfort zone on this one.  So, I need advice from friends.

Specs:
55" T2T osage.
1 1/4 inch wide.
Flipped tips
I'm wanting 50# @ 26", NOT backed, bendy handle.

Initially, when the stave was longer, I was thinking of a round/oval handle.  Now that I've shorten the bow, I'm thinking I mind need to do a flat belly.

Come on PatB, Blackhawk, Osage Outlaw, halfeye and a much more folks who can't remember whose shorties I've loved.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Short bow Question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:39:59 pm »
You are using osage, right?  Totally doable.

Soy made a bendy handle thing for me that I think is hardly an inch across in the grip area, tapers to pencil tips.  It came in a 55 lbs with a 26" draw even as toothpick skilly as it is! 

Definitely doable.  But it never happened if you don't post pics!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:53:27 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:43:09 pm »
Sounds about right.  Maybe with a flat belly you could go just a tad wider but what you have will work.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:07:52 pm »
I agree. Get the limbs bending so you feel the handle give a bit when you hit full draw. Thats the last place I tiller a short bow, the inner limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 02:11:22 am »
For you JW, although this could be the last pic of this bow.  I noticed microscopic cracks in the recurve portion of one limb.  I sanded them down and now I've afraid I'm back to same problem that caused me to shorten this bow in the first place.  That problem being the tips are not thick enough to support 50# draw.  grrr.  That tip is now .490.  What do you all think?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 04:50:41 am »
If the tips are just under a half inch thick they will definately not be too thin. Remember the stress in a bow is highest at the handle and gets lower and lower the closer you get to the tips. Tips can be tiny because of this.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 07:34:53 am »
Dave, if you need to, you can put underlays on the recurved tips.  Check out Patb's short, recurved, sinewed build-a-long.  I think he shows how to do it on there.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 07:51:26 am »
A 26" draw on a 55" long n 1 1/4" wide piece of unbacked hedge? Piece of cake..make her bend where it needs too..;) can you show a pic of these micro cracks you speak of? Im betting they re not an issue as long as there not running of the edge,plus if its out in the tips where its static it'll be fine for sure...and at a half inch thick you should be OK as mike said...on short bows or bows with shorter working limbs the limbs end up being thinner than a normal length bow,and at normal hunting  weights end up being thinner than that out at the end of the working limbs..stop fretting over lil imperfections...its wood not gl@$$ :D

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 08:18:58 am »
Thanks Mike, Clint and Chris.  This is my first bow under 60".  I was guessing that the tips at .490 might just be thick enough, but wasn't sure.  I'm encouraged now.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 08:32:25 am »
Well then...time to get off your computer and go bend that short lil blondy over  >:D

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 12:41:58 am »
Well then...time to get off your computer and go bend that short lil blondy over  >:D

Well, I wish I could have.  I had to run errands early this morning, work all day and then run more errands.  I got home around 9PM, exhausted.  I'm not as young as I used to be.  :(

Hopefully, Sunday evening I'll get it bending.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 01:05:28 am »
I agree. Get the limbs bending so you feel the handle give a bit when you hit full draw. Thats the last place I tiller a short bow, the inner limbs.

Pat, I hear you.  My normal tillering is to see a slight give out of the handle, tiller the rest us the bow while maintaining the slight give.  BUT, I've been getting all my set pretty much where the 1/3 and 2/3 line meets in the limbs. It's not been much set; overall maybe 3/4 of an inch.  But, I want the bow at least flat.  So I'm thinking my technique needs some tweaking. I'm don't think I'm getting the middle third bending early enough, thus causing the set issue above.  I'm not saying I should get it bending first, just I should keep a better eye on it and get it bending earlier than I have been. 

THOUGHTS ?????
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw