Author Topic: body compression  (Read 5049 times)

Offline fisher2

body compression
« on: June 05, 2013, 03:00:18 am »
so im working on that magic 32" draw on my 130@28" bow but while i can draw well past my ear i cant get past 29" on my modern 80# longbows i draw 27.5" with a hunting anchor and can draw 32" easily is it really possible that under such weights my body is compressing THAT much? also will practice reduce this compression or am i stuck with it?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: body compression
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:47:42 pm »
Can you please describe what you mean? I am having a hard time understanding what you are saying.
Do you mean that your draw is shorter with the heavier draws but you are drawing to the same point?
It is quite possible- measure your height in the evening, and then do the same in the morning. The measures are usually different because your joints get compressed by body weight during the day. I am sure it is possible that the same thing happens in your shoulder, wrist, elbow, and finger joints as you draw a bow.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline fisher2

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 03:59:42 pm »
yes thats exactly what i mean i drop to a 25" hunter draw or a 29" warbow draw

Offline fisher2

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 01:23:16 am »
its came to my attention on video that one. my draws shorter due to no riser on bow
2 im not running out of draw room for the bow as far as body wise im running out of muscle i still have 2" to draw but not 4" so ill get 30-31" in time

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 04:09:08 am »
My advice is to forgot the 'magic 32'. There is little to no evidence that 32inch draws were used. How long were the arrows found on the Mary Rose  ;) Draw what you feel comfortable drawing to - it's as simple as that. :) Pushing too far will damage you and the bow.

Offline brian

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 06:48:41 am »
   common sense being talked at last

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 05:27:28 pm »
My advice is to forgot the 'magic 32'. There is little to no evidence that 32inch draws were used. How long were the arrows found on the Mary Rose  ;) Draw what you feel comfortable drawing to - it's as simple as that. :) Pushing too far will damage you and the bow.
Make that plus two then!
Read 'Weapons of Warre' and you will be happy with your, actual, period drawlength.  It's the style of drawing in the bow, which for you is 29-30"

Offline fisher2

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 02:01:07 am »
yeah i think i havw 1-2" left but i might not who knows/cares

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 12:51:24 pm »
A comfortable draw for me with warbows is 30". The majority of the arrows recovered from The Mary Rose are 30.5", so I guess most Tudor era archers would agree. I have 2 buddies that can draw 31" and 32", but they're both well over 6' tall, with longer arms and broader shoulders than mine.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 04:09:38 pm »
32" is quite uncomfortable for me with a normalish bow.
28, for that matter, isn't super easy either.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline fisher2

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 04:55:58 pm »
i think my main issue after the next inch or so is that im used to the heavy riser recurve style glass bows so taking this bow and trying the same it logically should be shorter and i just dont want it to be even tho i have no choice so im gonna fling arrows at 29" and be happy

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 09:16:45 pm »
A comfortable draw for me with warbows is 30". The majority of the arrows recovered from The Mary Rose are 30.5", so I guess most Tudor era archers would agree. I have 2 buddies that can draw 31" and 32", but they're both well over 6' tall, with longer arms and broader shoulders than mine.

Yeah, and weren't people generally a little bit shorter/smaller back then? I think the way you draw is more important than the actual length. When I go and shoot for fun, I don't draw 32". It is quite uncomfortable and unnatural for me to draw 32", as I am a bit short of statue, :). I do prefer to shoot across the chest and well behind my ear with most all my bows, recurve or warbow alike. I think I am more accurate that way. Although sometimes I will draw with an anchor at my chin or so with a shorter bow. I gave up on 32", and just settled on 30" or so, which is more natural to me.... Although than again I always watch those videos on youtube of all those japanese archers drawing 36" +, like 14 year old girls and stuff, and that just makes me feel like a big wuss,  ;D.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 05:48:03 pm »
fisher 2, as far as I understand you want to pull the warbows with ease ..

you can try one technique - first pulling the bow close to the jaw, then just push the bow forward. That's how I pulled one of my old 110 #. It serves as a warm up even greater weight. This technique also for 136 @ 31 bow.
George

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiG2hP5y0SQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPR8egK-z2k
Best regards from Bulgaria - George