Author Topic: silver maple  (Read 5420 times)

Offline swiftjustus

silver maple
« on: November 10, 2007, 03:46:22 pm »
my mother in law had me and my brother in law cut down a huge silver maple last year, and i took a few logs and split them into staves. i put them in my garage and was wondering if this is very good bow wood? they have been in my garage for a little over a year with the bark on, should they be dry enough to use now if its good wood?

thank's

Offline snedeker

Re: silver maple
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 04:12:55 pm »
Silver maple is very light wood.  Not the greatest bow wood by far.

Dave

Offline swiftjustus

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 04:21:18 pm »
Dave you say it's not the greatest bow wood, but i could still make a bow from it? I'm just a beginner and have limited resources. if i were to make a bow out of it would you have any suggestions

swift

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:09:09 pm »
Make it wide and back it with linen, silk or something. Perhaps 2.5: wide.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 09:12:49 am »
Like Dana said, overbuild it and you might get a bow. Silver maple is one of the lightest and most brittle of the maples. Make it as long and wide as you can.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline swiftjustus

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 10:26:56 pm »
any idea where i might find linen?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:46:01 pm »
    Jo Jan Fabrics in phone book. Silk and linen in different colors............bob

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 05:36:16 pm »
I made a short faltbow out of silver maple a few years ago. I had decrowned the back, and it had held up quite well, til it was drawn too far and snapped that is. I probabaly could have prevented it by giving it a backing of some sort. It was a decent shooter too. About 2" wide. 60" or so. I don't recall it even being tillered very well.

Offline Dakotian

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 10:56:41 am »
My first branch bows were made from silver maple, as simple as they were they all broke. Silver maple is similar to poplar, it is very light an very soft. When dry it becomes brittle. I have seen bows made of poplar, but I wouldn't waste time on it, the time would be better spent on finding a better wood.