Author Topic: Horn cups  (Read 3881 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Horn cups
« on: June 19, 2013, 05:47:47 pm »
How about horn cups
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Horn cups
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 05:49:00 pm »
back side
BowEd
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 06:12:49 pm »
I like it, nice.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline darwin

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 06:35:17 pm »
couple of questions

1- what did you use for a bottom?
2- How did you bend the handle, heat gun?
3- Did you treat the inside with anything?
4- If you used adhesives what kind did you use and do you know if they are food safe?

I Think it's awesome and feel like trying it out

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:02:26 pm »
Ok...#1.Most times any wood will work.I used walnut,pine,basswood.3/4" thick.
       #2.Yep heat gun,boil it,even put it in an oven at 250 for a few minutes but I'd use a heat gun and just for the handle.One thing...Measure your circumference of the bottom of the horn using a rubber tape.Even a string will work.Now cut out a perfect circle of wood the same measurement tapered just a bit to fit it because the horn will be smaller tapered too.Dry fit it till it almost goes in.It won't fit at first because most horn is not a perfect circle.Now set the bottom of the future horn cup in a pan of boiling water about 2" deep.It won't take long and it'll be soft.When it is push your wooden plug into your horn and the horn will take on the shape of the perfect circle plug.Let it cool.Put it in a vise if you got to but be careful.You can retry it with no harm.Boiling does'nt completely ruin horn if not too long.
     #3.No treatment is necessary of the wood.The wood will swell from the liquid and seal itself.The only thing I do if I'm not going to use it is to keep a 1/4" deep mineral oil in it to keep it swelled.That is safe.
      #4.You can put some kind of epoxy on the outside if you like but not necesary.After plug is cooled you drill 1/16" holes evenly around bottom edge say 6 or so maybe 1/2" deep.I usually just insert toothpicks in them and break them off.You can glue em in too but not necessary.
OK to get the handle like that is to just cut a strip with your cup then heat and bend it over and attach it to the base of your cup with a tack or something of your choice.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 07:10:42 pm »
Now that's just the beginning.Let your imagination go crazy.salt shakers,pepper shakers,dry food containers out of rolled up birch bark with wooden plugs.I used to use all of these rendezvouing.
BowEd
Ed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:02:24 pm »
Really nice Beadman - thanks for sharing. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 09:18:27 pm »
Wow.  Very cool.  8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 10:21:35 pm »
Cool idea! 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline 4dog

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 01:00:12 am »
One question, is this primarily a "cool" cup,, or are hot beverages good in it? I ask cause a mug of joe is great in the morn..but using hot water for shaping and bending made me wonder if coffee or hot anything will warp it , sorry for my ignorance.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 01:15:32 am »
Not at all.I've drank gallons of coffee from mine.Water has to be boiling in your cup for sometime and even then it won't leak.One helpful hint I left out.When a person makes the plug for the bottom.Crown it slightly to the center on the inside so that when not in use and a person has mineral oil in it to keep it swollen the mineral oil will lay around the inside edges of your cup to keep it sealed.Now if it does happen to dry out on you don't worry just soak it a little while and it will seal up again.It's the same thing that happens when you use a wooden barrel for water.I have a 10 gallon barrel I use at rendezvous that a day before rendezvous I soak it in the river to swell it up.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 06:22:52 am »
I like it. Nice work and Idea. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 08:57:47 am »
tizhameh(thanks)! great ideas!
might even try the boiling technique when i'm making our traditional horn rattles.
I have seen an oblong box with lid up at 6 nations in Ontario made this way.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline 4dog

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 11:09:13 am »
It is a cool idea, and your work is great ,,nice cups.
"SET" is always there !!!