Author Topic: My First Completely Abo Arrow  (Read 3727 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

My First Completely Abo Arrow
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:43:49 pm »
I'm going to call this my first abo arrow.  I may have cut the shaft with steal but everything else was done with primitive tools.  Used a stone knife to cut nocks and prepare feathers.  Used deer antler that I found to knap the arrowhead.  Used pine pitch that I gathered and processed... although I did buy the buy the beeswax from a local bee keeper.  Sinew to hold the head and feathers on.  Dang it feels good to have this completed.  Now I just need to make a couple more.

Did I mention how it flies?  When I release it there's no wobble and it's soo smooth.  It's more like releasing a falcon than shooting an arrow.  It just flies out of the bow very aggressively. 

I'm interested the pros' critiques.

PS: I'll probably trim the fletchings up a tad.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:01:43 pm by PrimitiveTim »
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Re: My First Completely Abo Arrow
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 09:59:37 pm »
That looks awesome!  Great job.
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 10:02:21 pm »
Nice arrow!  Were you going for "flu flu" type arrow for shooting in air.  If not then your feathers seem to have quite alot of helical (twist) to it.  This is going to limit your effective range and slow down the arrow very quickly.  Looks good tho!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:33:29 pm »
Nice job! With a twist in the fletching like that and splitting the feather it should straighten up real quick for a 15-20 yard shot. I wouldn't trim them, splitting the feather helps them lay down when shooting it. What kind of stone is that?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:48:28 pm »
Nice arrow!  Were you going for "flu flu" type arrow for shooting in air.  If not then your feathers seem to have quite alot of helical (twist) to it.  This is going to limit your effective range and slow down the arrow very quickly.  Looks good tho!

Yeah, I understand the affects of the twist.  The main reason it has so much is cause the vane of the feather layed on the shaft real nicely at that angle.  I've been experimenting with all the extremes of the helical twist on two fletch.  I'll probably trim them a tad to shed some drag

Nice job! With a twist in the fletching like that and splitting the feather it should straighten up real quick for a 15-20 yard shot. I wouldn't trim them, splitting the feather helps them lay down when shooting it. What kind of stone is that?

Trapper Rob got me that stone.  He said it was novaculite I think?  Don't even trim the feathers a little?  I doubt I'll be shooting out to 20 yards for a while.  I still need to make some higher quality bows to shoot out that far.  I've made three that I haven't posted but I'm not really totally happy with them so I need to keep building and improving.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 01:44:08 am »
might want to wrap that point on with some more sinew, other than that, GREAT job!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 08:24:10 am »
I'm with Bryce on the wrap ,other than that looks really good and if it shoots good that is all that matters. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 12:52:41 pm »
Ok, I only wrapped it once around the nocks cause the piece of sinew wasn't long enough for any more wraps.  I guess I can do the same thing again with another piece of sinew.  However, I shot it a couple times into a pile of dead grass and the head didn't shift at all.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 02:45:31 pm »
very cool! :)  if you are going to shoot it alot, I'd sinew wrap the point more and then seal over the sinew with pitch.
it looks like there is actually a bit of air between sinew and the point, and this might need some work to get
it all to lay down smooth as ya can for the smoothest entrance into a target or animal.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 10:18:44 pm »
Nice arrow & point how does that novaculite work for you if you like it & run out leave me know I have buckets of it in the barn.
Rob

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 11:33:33 pm »
Nice arrow & point how does that novaculite work for you if you like it & run out leave me know I have buckets of it in the barn.
Rob

I guess it's been good.  I'm getting good at taking of the big flakes to start my arrowhead from.  I've never worked with anything else so I have nothing to compare it to.  I've only gone through like 3 or 4 of the chunks so far. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 07:14:26 am »
Your right Tim,if one wrap suits you it sure suits me.  :) But you did ask. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 09:27:46 am »
Super cool.  That must have been a fun project.  I might not be too far behind you on something like that.
Where are you at in FL, Tim?  Up by Gainesville?
1’—>1’

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 09:40:11 am »
Looks real good for yoru first go and better than my first. Ok I agree with others about the wrap bit  I will add that a bit more pine pit will allow the sinew to melt in after the reheat. Jackcrafty and I kinda do it the same way. I would suggest watching his video on that. Hey patrick if you read this could you provide him a link. I wrote a post on point attachment last year I will look and see if I can find a link. But hey really good job well done man!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 09:43:46 am »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!