Author Topic: Sharpening rasp  (Read 10721 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Sharpening rasp
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 10:20:45 pm »
So with the rejected rasps, were they sharpened and cleaned(and didn't pass the cut?) or just said nope, we can't sharpen these>
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 10:58:11 pm »
They cleaned and sharpened mine then ,after QC checks, they pass or fail the tool. Heck, the "failed" ones still work better than they did before.

Offline Roy

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 07:52:38 pm »
Just soaked two farrier rasps I was gifted, they were used and a little bit rusty and clogged with horse hooves material. They now look like new and are fairly sharp. I soaked them over night in vinegar. While they were soaking, you could see bubbles drifting up off them for hours, even the next day bubbles were still rising. There was so much rust laying in the bottom of my little foil pan this morning, I was amazed. All the rust is gone. I wonder if taking a wooden or rubber block and using 320 grit sand paper and just running the block down the rasp, in the direction of the sharp edge, if that would just touch up the edges a bit, shouldn't take much to clean up the edge. Might give it a try on one of them tomorrow, cause I'm a redneck:)

Here is my little aluminum foil tray, had a slight leak at first but got it sealed:)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:02:56 pm by Roy »

Offline Traxx

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 10:21:28 pm »
Soakin em in Muriatic acid,sharpens em up pretty good too.They will never be as sharp as a new one,or at least the Brand i buy.I use em for a livin,so i buy the best.

Offline DLH

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 11:36:39 pm »
They sharpen them before they do a test on them to determine if they are rejected. I had all of these rasps sharpened for around 26 I think it was well worth it. I had several rasps rejected and the pattern makers rasp cost more.