Author Topic: anyone know of a good muzzy kit?  (Read 1826 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

anyone know of a good muzzy kit?
« on: May 19, 2013, 11:52:01 pm »
Hey guys I'm looking for a Muzzy kit that's kinda on the low end money wise but still not trash.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: anyone know of a good muzzy kit?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:28:32 pm »
I got a Thompson Center Hawken kit gun. not sure how low end you want but they have one heck of a good warranty and the bluing was already done when I got the kit. My stock ended up cracking years after I got the gun, I called Thompson Center and they had me send the stock & barrel back to them. I received a new completely finished stock, great company to deal with.

Keep your powder dry.  Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:43:42 am »
How "kit" do you want it to be?  The only really tough work on fitting the parts to the stock are the buttplates.  If you are careful with all the rest, it is just a matter of removing a little wood, try fitting, remove more wood, and repeat as necessary.  Butt plates need to be fitted on all three axis simultaneously.  They give me the shuddering fits!

I recommend you check out Tennessee Valley Manufacturing, they have always done right by me.  I've ordered 8 kits thru them and with the two little minor issues they got to work to make it right before the sun went down.  Randy Heil runs the place now, good feller...about as good as what you find here in the PA forum.  THAT kinda good. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:37:29 am »
Thanks ill have to check them out. I don't mind doing some carving and removing some wood I've been a woodworker/ wood carver for around 7 years now and I use strictly hand tools. I never use power tools even though I have experience with them.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 08:44:02 pm »
In that case I have no worries that you could finish up a basic gun kit from them.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 09:26:15 pm »
If you are new to this M/L building stuff, you need to haunt the gun building sections M/L Forum and American Longrifle sites for a while to pick up some knowledge.

Here is a start to finish "kit" build like TVM would provide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJBNg_NLASA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 03:38:20 pm »
If you are new to this M/L building stuff, you need to haunt the gun building sections M/L Forum and American Longrifle sites for a while to pick up some knowledge.

Here is a start to finish "kit" build like TVM would provide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJBNg_NLASA

He-haw!  The guy is wearing a Black Hills Ammo ballcap!  I got friends that work for BH Ammo! Sorry for sidetracking.

This is a good video, the guy isn't all swollen up on himself and is good at explaining things in straightforward layman's terms.  Good explanation of a "swamped barrel".  But I disagree with his opinion that they are hard to inlet.  Not hard, just takes a more time. Next, he shows the double trigger...don't waste your time, they are harder to get inletted just right and a properly inletted single trigger will have virtually no travel or creep and can be quite a light pull (my .50 Lancaster has 2.4 lbs pull). 

Update #1 has some really good tips and tricks!  I am going to go thru all his updates eventually, getting the feeling they will all have good information!