Author Topic: bow building: Day 1 (day 2 also added)  (Read 11097 times)

Offline Squirrelslayer

bow building: Day 1 (day 2 also added)
« on: May 19, 2013, 07:21:27 pm »
Hello everyone, ive just got back from my 2 day bow making course and i must say i learnt alot. before we arrived we had to pre-order our wood so that he could laminate it and have it ready for us when we got there. the guy running the course (will lord) is a great guy because he also does other things like hide tanning, flint knapping, bronze casting and lots of other cool things.

he even gave me a flesh scraping tool made from flint and also some un-finnished flint blades. on the way back to the B&B we found a dead rabbit so we picked it up and took it back there. supprisingly the people back at the B&B were happy for me to skin it in there garden! they also stayed to watch me. i was using the flint tools that Will gave me. it was completely diffrent to using the metal knifes that i normaly use but once i got used to it they were really easy to use and i got a decent sized pelt off the rabbit.

this morrning i brought the ribbit skin to Will and because i arrived an hour early he showed me how to stretch it out on a frame and how to use the tool he gave me to scrape off all the meat and flesh. ill try and get some pics of it being stretched out tommorow as it's getting a bit dark ATM.

anyway here are some pictures of day 1 of the course, i have finnished the bow but it's getting late and im going to do the rest of the uploading tommorow but before i go here are some pictures with some anotations. enjoy.

ok so here is the glued up stave we recived when we arrived, as you can see it has 2 1/2" of reflex in it. it was about 79" long at this stage.

here are the laminates. it's hickory backing, an osage core and a lemonwood belly.

the stave was exactly 1 1/4" wide

not a very good picture but we used a string to show how straight the stave was it was perfectly straight.  :laugh:

here is the tapering lines we carfully drew onto it.

the stave was cut down to 78" it's so long it didn't even fit in the picture! notice all those cool antler things in the background!

yep. they trusted a squirrel with a bandsaw >:D

concentrating very hard not to cut through that line. more difficult than it looks :o

here we have the bow clamped in a work bench and resting on an offcut of osage.

i then used a spokeshave to round the belly. if you havn't already guessed this is going to be an ELB

here i have rounded the belly.

we then used a dremel to cut some teporary knocs. if only someone told me to use eye protection ::)

oh if your wondering what that wierd purple thing is in the pictures, there is something wrong with the camera.

here is a picture of the tillering string in the temporary nock

ahh. now this is the horn being drilled but i ended up using acrylic which has a relly cool pattern.

here is the block of acrylic i decided to use. i think that the swirly pattern makes it more interesting, but that's just my opinion.

ok folks. thats all there is to see for now, i will try to have the second day posted up tommorow. and i mus't confess i got so caught up in finnishing the bow i didn't take that many pics. hope you enjoyed this thread. i know i enjoy the bow that came from it. SS
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:11:59 am by Squirrelslayer »
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: bow building: Day 1
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:37:54 pm »
Im glad to see you're applying what your learning and that your learning indeed! From this class you should be much more capable of making bows.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 07:41:10 pm »
Thanks, i learn't alot. i relly like working with that osage! SS

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 07:43:20 pm »
Keep using opportunities like this, maybe write down the major things you learned and that includes patience and other things like that. Then come back to it every time you need to remind yourself what you need to be doing. I think you can make a fine bowyer in time.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 07:47:03 pm »
So whens the bow gonna be done ?? Lol don't rush it
I like osage

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 07:52:26 pm »
This does my spirit good!  You are blessed to have such supportive parents to do this for you.  You better treat them right Squirrel!  I'm looking forward to the rest of the story and the finished product.  Josh

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 07:55:55 pm »

it's already finnished im just trying to keep the upload time low. SS

also on YouTube

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:37 pm »
I see what your doing! You're teasing us!  :P ::) ;D no worries, I like a suspenseful story! Guys, lay back and enjoy the long awaited show. He's proving that he's able to listen and learn.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 08:05:13 pm »
Lord Tunderin' Jesus... the Squirrel is making a bow! Hell has frozen over! It's about time young man... it's about time! Carry on. Keep us posted.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 08:15:50 pm »
+1 with what ADB said. Glad to see you taking the next step forward.

Jon

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 08:24:47 pm »

it's already finnished im just trying to keep the upload time low. SS

Ohh ok
I like osage

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 08:36:20 pm »
Finally...an acceptable no bs overexagerated tall tale....hope to see more "real" stuff from ya...and hopefully you've learned some lessons here....keep this up and folks might come back around to helping ya out if ya need it...I know I was a lot worse at your age than you are,and I know people can change and "grow" up....i hope you are....you may just make a bowyer yet ;)

Offline wildman

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 09:06:36 pm »
Good work young fella cant wait to see it complete!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 09:16:07 pm »
Keep it up, someday you'll be a master......: ;)  and you'll look back and say I think I'll build another and counting to a Hundred bows.!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 10:10:37 pm »
WOW!!!!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking