Author Topic: Vine maple trade bow  (Read 17816 times)

Offline dwardo

Re: Vine maple trade bow
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2013, 01:09:16 pm »
Lovely as always.

Might find this strange but a couple of months ago I met another bowyer on a peninsula in the middle of a remote Scottish loch in what was more like winter than spring. Over a few arrows and a beer we got to discuss whos work we admired. Pretty much at the same time we both said "Gordons"

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2013, 10:30:03 pm »
Beautiful work as always Gordon.  Did you see that it made the PA Facebook page?   So what do you think of vine maple in that design?  Looks to me like it works quite well.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Brock

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2013, 11:52:10 pm »
Very nice Gordon...the vine maple I have that John completed for me has taken some set but likely from my long draw...and using it in our hottest turkey seapon in 10 years..two years ago.  I am going to have him make me another out of vine maple or osage and put a backing on it...so my 29.5 inch draw does not mess it up. LOL

hope one day I can do as good of work as you have there on these pages...  thanks for sharing.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2013, 03:17:28 am »
That's funny dwardo. I would have never guessed that someone living in some remote Scottish lock would know who I am. The wonders of the Internet...

Hey Carson I checked out the page. That's pretty cool to see my pictures there. I've used this design with vine maple bows before to good effect, but I never seem to be able to hold on to them for very long.

Hey Brock. Ask John to make the bow a little longer than he usually does. That should take care of your long draw.

Thanks guys for your really nice comments.
Gordon

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2013, 12:16:45 am »
Gordon, that bow looks so good that I'm hating you now. Way to set the bar!
Michael
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2013, 03:53:22 am »
That's funny dwardo. I would have never guessed that someone living in some remote Scottish lock would know who I am. The wonders of the Internet...

I remember the conversation well (and the 2meter high snow!), you do build consistently fine bows sir, this one being no exception.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2013, 03:56:08 pm »
Well thank you Nathan. Do you ever get a chance to fish for sea trout and/or salmon? I've always wanted to visit your part of the world.

Thank you Michael, what a nice compliment.
Gordon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2013, 04:17:25 pm »
The term Master may get bandied about rather liberally, but in your case it is very accurate, Mr. Ferlisch.  The only bow you could not turn out is the one I wouldn't like!  Thanks for all your bows, Gordon!  Great inspiration for all of us.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2013, 04:23:26 pm »
Well thank you Nathan. Do you ever get a chance to fish for sea trout and/or salmon? I've always wanted to visit your part of the world.

Thank you Michael, what a nice compliment.

Yes Gordon I do! Every spare moment is spent down the river 5mins from my cottage. Mainly had brownies so far but am trying hard for salmon. Last Monday had the river to myself all day. With the odd patch of snow still on the mountains & alpine blue sky, it was a good day to be alive and there are no midges yet! If you are ever over this way stop by you would be very welcome :)

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2013, 06:01:18 pm »
Excellent work again Gordon. Thanks for sharing.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Gordon

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2013, 06:33:50 pm »
Nathan, I would dearly love to ply your rivers for salmon with my double handed rod and flies. And my wife is a piper and wants to visit Scotland something terrible. You might just have some company drop by!

What a nice compliment JW though I don't think I've made enough bows to be worthy of such a title. But thank you.

Thank you Dvs.
Gordon

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2013, 01:06:59 am »
Excellent as ever! Dang but you can build a bow 
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2013, 11:31:23 am »
Beautiful bow, I love the snake skins and the tips!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2013, 02:23:46 pm »
Absolutely stunning! I like how you did the tips.
SW Utah

Offline dbb

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2013, 02:37:40 pm »
A bow to be proud of, Both to maker and wielder!
I might steal the overlay idea :)

Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...