Author Topic: Serviceberry Semi-Gullwing bow  (Read 17954 times)

Offline dwardo

Re: Serviceberry Semi-Gullwing bow
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2013, 07:54:40 am »

I guess this mean's i've been ripping you guys off with the weight of my bows. Really sorry about that, not trying to lie, that's just what my scale's been telling me  :( . Im glad that i can try building way heavier bows now tho.

I dont think that mate and no-one here does. As PD says its all about communication via the web. We dont have the luxury of being able to see each others work in the flesh which is a real shame and pictures only say so much.
For instance if you had a faulty ruler (long stretch i know) we would all be wondering why you can make a bow that's only 30" long that draws to 30" When we need a bow much longer to achieve similar results.

A good set of accurate scales can help you know when your bow is starting to take set way before your eyes see it in the unbraced profile.
For poor saps like me who have never seen another bowyers product in real life the help that this place gives me is invaluable.

So what are you working on now?  :D

Offline Weylin

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2013, 11:54:15 am »
I had a bathroom scale for a while and it was giving me wildly inaccurate readings on my bows. I bought a nice 100# spring scale on amazon for $25 and it's made a huge difference in my bow making and is very helpful on the tillering tree. (just remember to factor in the weight of the hanging scale) I agree with PD, I don't think you are intentionally trying to decieve anyone but he's right in that we all have an obligation to do our best to post accurate results because people are learning from us whether we realize it or not.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2013, 06:51:42 pm »
Thanks guys, i'm gonna buy a spring scale that goes up to like 180# (just in case i feel ambitious  ;D ;D.)

Nope randman but my dad told me a long time ago that a guy at work told him that Ocean Spray is what the natives used to use around me. So i learned how to identify it and made my first couple of bows out of it. They still shoot today, (5 years later) which goes to show how strong the stuff is...

The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2013, 04:20:26 pm »
Dude, you could tiller phone poles if you wanted to.
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2013, 04:38:13 pm »
I bought a digital hanging scale off eBay for about 8 bucks including shipping. It works great. It has two hooks so it made using a pulley system really easy, and safe,

I had a bow blow once when I was still using a tillering tree with grooves that the string goes into. That was the last time I used it.

Patrick

Offline Zion

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2013, 10:29:23 pm »
Thanks guys. I've got a good scale now so that's good. Yeah i only use a tillering tree if the bow i'm working on is really heavy or really wonky or something.

Offline bow101

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2013, 10:57:56 pm »
Mmmmm based on my findings, my bathroom scale shows about 4-6 pounds less than actual weight comparing to the health ones that use the sliding weights. How do I know,?  by weighing myself... ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2013, 05:12:14 am »
Since you seem to have a lot of weights Zion, , attach 90# to the string (i use a strong bag filled with dumbells) and hang a tape measure from the handle. Pull up, do it slow so there is NO bounce. If the bag lifts at 24", you're golden.  Obviously don't pull it past your draw, just adjust the weights in the bag to get that string back to 24".  Not the greatest method, but I don't have a good tillering tree setup and pulling down on the bathroom scale seemed really sketchy to me.

Offline Zion

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2013, 05:30:44 pm »
yeah i've heard of that technique before, but as i said before i now have a good fish scale which i can easily weigh my bows with, so i'm just gonna stick to that. I have about 140 lbs to deal with so if the scale breaks i will try that.

Offline adb

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2013, 03:21:58 am »
So, with your new scale, what does this bow have for draw weight?

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:04 am »
Awesome bow!
I really love the primitive look and the knot in the handle.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Zion

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2013, 12:54:35 pm »
Adb i measured it a while back but i believe it was between 75# and 80# (with the good scale). So decent but not as much as the crappy scale said.

Thanks Buffalo, this is still one of my favorite shooters.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2013, 04:12:31 am »
Adb i measured it a while back but i believe it was between 75# and 80# (with the good scale). So decent but not as much as the crappy scale said.

Thanks Buffalo, this is still one of my favorite shooters.

Still pretty heavy I can't shoot a bow that heavy comfortably at all. between 50-60 pounds is my comfort zone and where I try to keep all of my bows at
I like osage