Author Topic: Another board bow question  (Read 1151 times)

Offline cook1536

Another board bow question
« on: May 17, 2013, 03:26:52 pm »
I am working on a red oak board bow and was wondering about what width I should leave between the shelf and the side according to the red line in the pic I have attached? Also I am going to glue the walnut strips in the pic on to the handle then another strip of red oak and wanted to know how far past the fades (red lines) I should go with them?

Thanks
Daniel
Archery is seeing how far you can get from your target, Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get to your target.

Offline JeremiahVires

Re: Another board bow question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 03:29:16 pm »
I'd say 2 inches? 
TBB says 1 7/8 for mid limb...
So.
Yeah...
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline cook1536

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 04:14:17 pm »
Forgive the artistic ability and color choice...If I am thinking right, if I use a 3/4" thick board and work the limbs down to the fades, I will have a partial fade formed in the board like in my picture then if I glue a walnut strip to that then another red oak strip to make the handle and blend them into the fade, how would I make the walnut go past the fade?
Archery is seeing how far you can get from your target, Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get to your target.

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:20:54 pm »
If I were you, I'd just use the walnut for the handle (I must note that I've never glued on handles, so I'm just saying what I WOULD do), and then cut it down WITH the fades.  Then just use a rasp and finish it with that.  Then do that.

Is this your first bow?

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 04:23:28 pm »
And also, I wouldn't even bring the bow part up to a fad
I'd just make it flat, then glue that walnut to the bow

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 04:36:10 pm »
first off glue all the laminated handle pcs together on the bow ,just add up the total length of the grip and both fades and make it 1/2" longer than that, I make my glued on pcs 8 1/2",do this before you cut the bow out unless you already have, then when you cut all your tapers and the limb thickness be shure to stay away from the lines, get to close and you'll make a big mistake, with that cut in rest i'd go with a pistol grip that way you can leave the area where the rest is a little thicker depth wise and still have a comfy grip
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹