Author Topic: First ash bow- advice while tillering  (Read 3156 times)

Offline richpierce

First ash bow- advice while tillering
« on: November 12, 2007, 11:16:39 am »
I am making my first bow.  I want it to pull about 55 pounds at 29".  I guess it's not any particular classic style.  I just want a successful bow that shoots well and doesn't break.   Right now it's probably overbuilt. 71" nock to nock, 1 and 7/8" at the fades, 7/16" wide at the tips.  It's not straight but the string comes across the handle.  The stave developed a natural reflex while drying.  I have not done any bending of the stave.  Here are some pictures.  I don't have another bow to judge floor tillering so I think it is too stiff.  It takes quite a bit of pull just to get it to begin to bend on the tillering stick.  I think about 40 pounds and it's not bent far enough to brace yet.

I once tried to make a bow of ash and it broke.  I didn't know muich and think I had a hinge and didn't go slowly.

Questions:
1) Will I be OK with the natural reflex?
2) Should I bother to try to straighten the bow?
3) Should I take it to desired finish weight at brace height, check the tiller, then take wood off uniformly, get more draw?

Other helpful hints appreciated. This is a great site.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: First ash bow- advice while tillering
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 11:45:28 am »
The reflex will be fine,I wouldn't bother straighting it ,looks pretty good.I would get it out to brace on the tillering stick and the go to the tillering board.Never pull it over the weight you want.At first it might be that at 10 or 12 inches.then make any adjustments and pull another in.keep going
till you get the draw you want.It looks like you narrowed the handle all the way to the fads be
careful not to have it bend all the way to the wide part of the limb or it will pop up there where you violated the grain when you cut the handle in.Other than that it looks fine so far. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

Re: First ash bow- advice while tillering
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 12:44:38 pm »
At 71" for 29" draw if you come in a bit light you should be able to pike it down to 68" to gain some weight.
As pappy said its looking good.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI