Author Topic: Arrow shaft blanks  (Read 2322 times)

Offline bow101

Arrow shaft blanks
« on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:29 pm »
What is a good price for Dougals Fir Arrow shaft blanks..? Would $30 - $35  sound good to you guys.?

11/32 Square unspined 1 doz. =  ..?
11/32 Round unspined 1 doz. =  ..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: Arrow shaft blanks
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 11:41:24 pm »
for raw unspined shafts IMHO you oughta be goin maybe 15-20 for the squares and 20-25 for the rounds
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 12:11:10 am »
You can get premium douglas fir shafts (Surewood Shafts), spine and weight matched for $40/dozen.    If you are looking at shaft blanks that are unspined, and you are buying them by the dozens, expect to by 6-8 dozen, so that you might end up with one dozen matched in spine...who knows maybe you will get lucky and it will be the spine you need.   ;)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:40:57 am »
Can you still spine the square blanks..?  I have access to ton's of Old growth fir.  I was thinking of maybe making a few hundred or so and sell them. 
Or maybe better off spining the arrows and be done with it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:30:07 am by bow101 »

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 08:52:43 pm »
I ever get ahead i'm gonna try some of those arrow shafts Carson, they shure look good
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:05:55 pm »
I just ordered a couple dozen 11/32" douglas firs from surewood.39$/doz.plus shipping.I've heard very good things about surewoods shafts.They split them by hand and guarantee at least 4 growth rings per shaft.The spining and weight on a dozen are really close too.
bow101....Go for it make a slug of em.If you don't someone else will do something else with the wood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 04:28:13 pm »
At any rate I may be able to do $30 - $25 per dozen arrow blanks spined and weighted. 11/32" X 33"- 34" lenght......?  They would be hunter grade though not premium.

What you guys use mostly, (sizes and wood species)..? Let me know, Thank you,