Author Topic: Working/sanding bamboo that has been fumigated?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Working/sanding bamboo that has been fumigated?
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:49:00 am »
Should I wear a good mask when cutting or sanding fumigated bamboo? I usually wear one of those cheap dust masks, but I know it ain't gonna stop me from breathing in whatever chemicals they spray on the stuff? Is it not that big of a deal, or I am going to make myself sick?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Working/sanding bamboo that has been fumigated?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:05:39 pm »
Bamboo has a high silica content and you should wear good breathing protection for that reason and not only for the chemicals.
  If stored properly you shouldn't need to fumigate bamboo. If you get powder post beetles in your boo you are not storing it properly or at least not checking it on a regular basis.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Working/sanding bamboo that has been fumigated?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 01:23:59 pm »
Bamboo has a high silica content and you should wear good breathing protection for that reason and not only for the chemicals.
  If stored properly you shouldn't need to fumigate bamboo. If you get powder post beetles in your boo you are not storing it properly or at least not checking it on a regular basis.

Hmm, didn't know that. I just bought some that said it was fumigated. I will definitely use some good breathing protection.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair