Author Topic: Feather Cutters  (Read 5850 times)

Offline BraveKnight

Feather Cutters
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:40:15 am »
Anyone have any ideas on how to make a feature cutter.  I dont really want to buy anything commercially.  I however like to have everything uniform

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Feather Cutters
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 11:58:33 am »
I used to want all mine perfect without using store bought stuff, then I realized if perfection was what I wanted then store bought choppers are what I needed. I can get a pretty nice cut with scissors after some practice. I glue them down first, then trim to shape.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 02:08:20 pm »
scissors like Pearly said, or a hot stick from the fire, the primitive way or build yourself a burner, there is a link on here somewhere for a feather burner.  Good luck, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 02:32:17 pm »
I have seen this used and have tried with some success, split a stick in 1/2 length ways, narrow the tip(s) down the the smallest you want your feather. pinch them together with the feather in between them  (kinda sandwich the feather) cutting or burning off the part of the feather that sticks out from between the stick. This will keep them all the same size and shape
Hope you under stand my ramblings. I'll keep looking for the video I seen this on as this is NOT my idea. 
Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:57:35 pm »
It's not really primitive but, if you have a battery charger, make a feather burner.   The crude prototype in the pic uses 0.035 nichrome wire with a 6 V, 8 A battery charger and cost little.  The fletchings on the arrow in the pic were burned with it.   Elements intended for feather burning (rectangular in cross-section vs. the wire I use) are available and inexpensive.    Don't know what voltage and current is required for them tho'.

c.d.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:56:13 pm »
Nice setup, but doesn't burning feathers smell bad?
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:35:42 pm »
I have a couple of choppers, and they are consistent and productive...however.....once I started using different profiles, I knew I could not afford a new chopper for each.
I started free-hand cutting with scissors - it works but sometimes is not very even.
I made a template from either cardboard or heavy plastic sheet like a tupperware lid etc. I either used scissors or an exacto blade to follow my template. This worked better IMO but not 100%.

Now here's what I do..lay the fletch flat with the quill along a flat edge for consistantcy. Then I use masking tape to tape the fletch flat. the secret here is the tape also holds the feather barbs in place for a consistent and nice smooth cut edge.

With a fine pen or sharp pencil I trace an outline of my fletch profile from a template like before directly onto the masking tape while lining up the base straight edge with the straightened quill.

Once thats done , pull up the fletch with tape still attached, and trim to the template outline with nice sharp scissors.
Easier to follow a nice outlne and the barbs don't shift on ya.  Once trimmed out, just peel off the remaining tape left attached covering the fletch and theres your nice smooth trimmed fletch. This worked real well when I do English style fletch, but I also modify several templates for a more or less shield cut or Pope-Young style.
But thats just me...:)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 11:52:55 pm »
Feather burners do smell bad but they are the best for shaping fletching. IMO.  When I burn feathers I take the feather burner on the front porch and let the breeze take the stink away.   ;)
3Rivers sells the burner ribbons for just a few dollars each. Get a few and experiment with fletching shapes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AH

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 11:13:23 pm »
The way I always do it is stick the feather to a piece of masking tape. Then, using an x-acto knife or scissors, I cut out the shape. I then peel the tape off.  The tape holds the feather down and keeps it nice and uniform.
Now I have a template for the fletchings which I simply put on top of my piece of taped feather, and trace out with an x-acto knife.
 8)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 12:11:24 am »

I started free-hand cutting with scissors - it works but sometimes is not very even.
I made a template from either cardboard or heavy plastic sheet like a tupperware lid etc. I either used scissors or an exacto blade to follow my template. This worked better IMO but not 100%.

Yep.  Same deal.  I don't do the whole masking tape thing but seems like a good idea. Lay the template on the side of the feather where the quill sticks out flat, cut away.

One thing I Have found - don't know about you EasternArcher - is that Right wing feather are WAAAY easier or me to do than left wing feathers.  Probably has to do with the fact that the scissors have to cut from the back of the feather to the front and also something to do with being right handed. Pinching the feather and template in my left hand, cutting with my right.  Either way I'm not using left wing feather again.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 07:58:27 am »
I usually just glue them to the shaft already cut to length but full feather, mark the front and back the heights I want and cut with a large /sharp pair of scissors.
I cut from back to front with one smooth continuous cut.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 11:41:37 am »

Yep.  Same deal.  I don't do the whole masking tape thing but seems like a good idea. Lay the template on the side of the feather where the quill sticks out flat, cut away.

One thing I Have found - don't know about you EasternArcher - is that Right wing feather are WAAAY easier or me to do than left wing feathers.  Probably has to do with the fact that the scissors have to cut from the back of the feather to the front and also something to do with being right handed. Pinching the feather and template in my left hand, cutting with my right.  Either way I'm not using left wing feather again.
YEs, I found that as well.....but I muddle through it and use both wings. It can be done.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 11:52:02 am »
scissors and yes my arrows  are not the prettiest

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 02:14:05 pm »
I'm a (sharp) scissors fan as well. Give your self plenty of extra when fletching then just trim them down to size when you are done, you can get them pretty consistent with this method.

I'm not really big on the burnt feather smell either.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 04:03:42 pm »
I use a home made feather burner.  The smell doesn't bother me at all.  I've smelled much worse than burning feathers.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left