Author Topic: D bow  (Read 831 times)

Offline bayouridgerunner

D bow
« on: May 19, 2013, 01:52:15 am »
I am admittedly late to the party.  My web and literature oriented research has led me to a realization...or confusion. While reading about a simple American Indian style bow I found it to be described as a D bow; the article went on to characterize its cross section shape as rectangular. While reading about an English long bow it too was described as a D bow, further stating that the shape was the initial one carved from a yew log so that the greatest number of bows could be constructed from each available piece of wood; the curved portion of the D was the inner part of the log, the outer part becoming the back of the bow and the flat part of the letter. Is it correct that the former describes the bow at full draw having the shape of the letter"D" when at full draw and the latter describes the cross section appearance of the bow? I want to learn the language you guys are using correctly so please reply, as elementary as this may be.

Offline Newindian

Re: D bow
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 01:54:15 am »
Yup that's right
I like free stuff.

Offline half eye

Re: D bow
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:24:19 pm »
The "D" bow confussion is because the term is used in 2 completely different descriptions. The Native American bows are called "D" bows describing their full draw shape ( circular tiller or that they bend in a half circle) the English bows are reffering to the cross section of the bow itself ( flatish back and a well rounded belly) so the perimeter of the bow forms a "D" shape. Hope that helps ya some
rich