Author Topic: An odd occurrence  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Joec123able

Re: An odd occurrence
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 03:55:44 pm »
Maybe excersing the wood alittle might help ?? What do you guys think since it's been unstrung for awhile
I like osage

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 04:33:22 pm »
, keep in mind that the varnish coat might be slightly uneven, and it wouldn't take much to throw it off cause of different moisture content.

Explain that to me? You lost me.

I think I'm with pearl. Unless the change where it was originally stored and sealed is significant it might take a little longer to equalize if one side is sealed better but equal is equal. They will both end up the same as their surrounding.  From what I hear, no seal is completely water/moisture proof.

And to the original poster, is it possible the sun hits part of the bow at some point in the day thru a window? I'm with the others. it sounds like something is heating it somehow or it wasn't seasoned enough. Or possibly elves. Were you drinking when it was strung last time?

No drinking involved lol the bow is hit by the sun part of the day but I don't see that doing anything other then darkening the Osage wood

Well, that could in fact be your problem. Direct intense sunlight is bad for wooden bows, especially laminated bows. It's one of the first things I tell people that will void their warranty. I've had more than one person bring me their bow that has delaminated from leaving it in the direct sun, like inside a closed car. It will do more than darken the osage.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 04:41:48 pm »
, keep in mind that the varnish coat might be slightly uneven, and it wouldn't take much to throw it off cause of different moisture content.

Explain that to me? You lost me.

I think I'm with pearl. Unless the change where it was originally stored and sealed is significant it might take a little longer to equalize if one side is sealed better but equal is equal. They will both end up the same as their surrounding.  From what I hear, no seal is completely water/moisture proof.

And to the original poster, is it possible the sun hits part of the bow at some point in the day thru a window? I'm with the others. it sounds like something is heating it somehow or it wasn't seasoned enough. Or possibly elves. Were you drinking when it was strung last time?

No drinking involved lol the bow is hit by the sun part of the day but I don't see that doing anything other then darkening the Osage wood

Well, that could in fact be your problem. Direct intense sunlight is bad for wooden bows, especially laminated bows. It's one of the first things I tell people that will void their warranty. I've had more than one person bring me their bow that has delaminated from leaving it in the direct sun, like inside a closed car. It will do more than darken the osage.

That all makes sence but this bow is just a selfbow and it will be seeing a lot of sunlight this summer when I shoot it lol
I like osage

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 04:44:34 pm »
Self bow or not... shooting it in the sunlight and storing it in direct sunlight are two very different things.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 04:47:12 pm »
Self bow or not... shooting it in the sunlight and storing it in direct sunlight are two very different things.

Ok well I will avoid having it stored in the sun light even tho I love seeing the wood darken up thanks adb
I like osage

Offline adb

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 04:53:37 pm »
Don't worry, your osage will darken plenty just having it outside while you're shooting it.