Author Topic: An odd occurrence  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Joec123able

An odd occurrence
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:46:16 pm »
I have a bow of mine I hadn't had it strung for almost two months I decided to string it up today to find the tiller way off compared to how it was the last time it was strung I really can't think of any reason for it
I like osage

Offline bushboy

Re: An odd occurrence
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:10:34 am »
Did you store your behind the dryer? Lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:12 am »
Was it standing up on concrete? Was one end near a heat vent? Was it well seasoned when you made it? Even a kiln dried board that has been sitting for a few years will twist and contort  after you cut it and joint it. Every shaving you remove exposes fresh wood and new stresses, sometimes it's more dramatic than others.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 12:45:10 am »
It happens to me too sometimes.  In my case, wood dries very quickly and often unevenly in my climate.  I have learned to season the wood well before final tillering.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 04:37:06 am »
The bow was just hanging up on the wall I finished in back in January the wood is sealed up with lacquer and it's in room temperature I really don' get it
I like osage

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 08:02:19 am »
did some insects get it? did something grow on the wood? has the humidity changed at all? cause if it has, keep in mind that the varnish coat might be slightly uneven, and it wouldn't take much to throw it off cause of different moisture content.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 09:04:16 am »

, keep in mind that the varnish coat might be slightly uneven, and it wouldn't take much to throw it off cause of different moisture content.

Explain that to me? You lost me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 09:10:09 am »
What kind of wood? Design? Don't let my next question insult you but are you sure it was absolutely seasoned after completion and maybe it dried some more in the last 2 months?
                       jackcraft may have nailed it about making sure you are completely seasoning your wood.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:19:50 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Marks

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 11:16:18 am »
, keep in mind that the varnish coat might be slightly uneven, and it wouldn't take much to throw it off cause of different moisture content.

I think I'm with pearl. Unless the change where it was originally stored and sealed is significant it might take a little longer to equalize if one side is sealed better but equal is equal. They will both end up the same as their surrounding.  From what I hear, no seal is completely water/moisture proof.

And to the original poster, is it possible the sun hits part of the bow at some point in the day thru a window? I'm with the others. it sounds like something is heating it somehow or it wasn't seasoned enough. Or possibly elves. Were you drinking when it was strung last time?

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 11:38:29 am »
That happens alot.  I think it's mainly a drying issue.  Maybe you didn't dry it long enough?  Humidity change?  Maybe the tiller was slightly off to begin with and it's dried more?
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 11:52:30 am »
Ive made 150-175 bows from 8-9 types of wood and its never happened to me, sinewed bows included.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 12:04:07 pm »
the only time that's ever happened to me  is when I quickly made a bow and did not exercise the limbs very much when building it  and did not shoot it in . but it usually falls out the tiller after I go and shoot it for a while . for me it's basically garbage in equals garbage out .

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 03:39:01 pm »
The Bow is Osage and it has shot well over 1500 arrows so trust me the limb are exercised
I like osage

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 03:41:39 pm »
did some insects get it? did something grow on the wood? has the humidity changed at all? cause if it has, keep in mind that the varnish coat might be slightly uneven, and it wouldn't take much to throw it off cause of different moisture content.

Well the uneven finish thing wouldn't make sence when it's be fine over the past 5 months
I like osage

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 03:46:21 pm »

I think I'm with pearl. Unless the change where it was originally stored and sealed is significant it might take a little longer to equalize if one side is sealed better but equal is equal. They will both end up the same as their surrounding.  From what I hear, no seal is completely water/moisture proof.

And to the original poster, is it possible the sun hits part of the bow at some point in the day thru a window? I'm with the others. it sounds like something is heating it somehow or it wasn't seasoned enough. Or possibly elves. Were you drinking when it was strung last time?

No drinking involved lol the bow is hit by the sun part of the day but I don't see that doing anything other then darkening the Osage wood
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 03:51:30 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage