Author Topic: Camping With Family in the Smokies  (Read 1020 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Camping With Family in the Smokies
« on: May 13, 2013, 05:18:20 pm »
I'll be @ the Elkmont campground in the Smokey Mountain Nationl Park with the family the last weekend in June for a week.  Anyone around there?  We've got stuff to do, but thought I might be able to hook up with someone and do some knapping or something one of the days.  I'll have my knapping stuff w/ me, I plan on bringing a tarp and laying it out in the campsite.  Get back with me if anyone is close by. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Camping With Family in the Smokies
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 06:42:17 pm »
I'm about 2 1/2 hours away, across the mountains. Do check out Cades Cove near Townsend, Tenn.  and the Okonolufkee(sp) Village. Both pretty cool!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:27:28 am »
I've been to Cades Cove, but that does not mean we will not go again.  How about Joyce Kilmer National Park?  You been there?  I've camped @ Elkmont several times, and always say I want to go to Kilmer, but it's always too far out of the way @ the end of the trip.  Thanks for the rply Pat. dpg

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 11:09:24 am »
Does your family hike? My wife and I hiked all over the Smokies, we started by hiking to every waterfall in the park, then most every bald, then Mt Le cont twice from different directions , the Chimneys and a bunch of other places I can't remember.

A couple of nice walks near Elkmont, two waterfalls, one back toward Gatlinburg and not far from Elkmont and one in Cades Cove.

Best time to go to Cades cove is about 5:00pm when the critters are starting to stir and coming off the ridges down into the fields.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 11:30:46 am »
We have always hiked in the past.  Been to most of the places you mentioned.  Now our boys are 5 and 8, so some of the hikes may be a bit long.  I used to take a dog collar and leash with us and when we were @ the falls I'd hook the collar around the waist of the kid who was walking and have him on a lead.  Some people would laugh, but I was at ease.  We'll give CCove a look see in the eve.  Thanks for the reply! dpg

Offline oldhippy

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 11:21:54 am »
 Derik, Joyce Kilmer used to be breath taking. It was just about the last stand of old growth forest in the east. The trees were amazing, poplars that were 10-12 feet thick. Eastern and Carolina hemlocks that were the same.
 The hemlocks are gone now, all that is left are the stumps. The woolly adelgid has killed almost all of the hemlocks and the forest service dynamited the dead standing ones for safety.
 Bro I would still go if I had the chance. It is still a magical place to go. There is also the Slick Rock Wilderness area right there with Kilmer. It also has a lot of old growth and a bunch of trails. Enjoy
 Peace, Steve 

I'm only a figment of my own imagination (:::.)