Author Topic: Warbows and String Follow  (Read 16481 times)

Offline WillS

Re: Warbows and String Follow
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 10:38:37 am »
Hi WillS, yes the bow was Italian yew, 3 year seasoned. I have to say that it came from a very dense, very narrow stave, with natural recurve,

Ahem. 

Cough.

Got any more?

Cough.

Seriously though, that sounds like a dream piece of wood.  I'm sure it was your skill as well though, as I guess most of us know that it's surprisingly easy to take a fantastic piece of wood and make a poor bow if handled badly...

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 11:52:43 am »
Yeah that's a typical bow from Steve! My experience is that some staves will take a set no matter how quickly/carefully you tiller them, but some, especially those that started with a slight natural reflex will stay straight or even retain a slight reflex, even after shooting them for years. There are a lot of factors to take into account such as how long the stave has been seasoned, what it's moisture content is, ring count, original stave dimensions etc. I have made a few bows with no set - my most recent was only 63" or so long but tillered out to 33" (120lbs) and had no set.

Dave

You made a 63" bow, 120#@33"??? with no set. Very bold claim. Do you have any pictures? Sorry... I have a hard time believing you without pictures to back this up! 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:26:26 pm by adb »

Offline Ian.

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 04:55:36 pm »
I would believe David above anyone if he said he was able to do it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:33:01 am by Ian. »
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 10:26:27 pm »
 :-X

Offline Davepim

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 10:11:50 am »
I tell a lie, the bow was 110lbs, 73.4" nock to nock

And here is a link to a video of it being shot
http://s289.photobucket.com/user/Davepim/media/04Nov2012_zpsc6bb38bb.mp4.html
Some of you may notice that it is a bit stiff in the upper limb; I have since re-tillered to correct this, but the bow is just as straight. I don't have the bow lined up against a measure, so you will just have to take my word for it about its length.

Cheers, Dave
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:31:05 am by Davepim »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:09 am »
Nice video. I like the economical style, no excess leaping about.
We'll happilly take your word for the length, now it's increased by 10"  ;)
Great bow, nice tiller (yes I did agree on the stiff top limb)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Davepim

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 10:51:57 am »
Correct Del, I'd meant to post it originally as 73" not 63" - a slip of the keys and no wonder adb was a bit doubtful! ;) - the "lie" was the draw-weight which was 110 not 120, looking back on it! :-[ And by the way that is Glennan Carnie, not me shooting the bow, as he was the customer.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 12:52:55 pm »
Glennan is really going for that, is this a new one you made him? I am sure I would have seen it by now, if it is new I hope to see it at Swindon, really spits them out.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 12:54:05 pm »
Late in the year I'll be making a 100# @32" for someone. My dilema is should I train myself up to shoot it? (just a few shots will do me) It's prob going to be my last chance to go over 100# as I'm not getting any younger, mind I don't mant to screw up my elbows and knuckles. (the shoulders can take it no prob). Shot 90# at 28" over a year ago, and that was tough, but the 100# at 32" will prob be about the same as that one at 28"... it's just a matter of getting over the top and into the bow for the last few inches... piece of cake ::)  ;)
Del

Offline WillS

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 01:02:35 pm »
This thread is making me want to successfully complete my goal of making a yew warbow pushing 100# more than ever.  I so badly want to be able to join the EWBS using a bow I've made myself!  I'm only 24 though, so I've got time... Patience, patience...

Offline Ian.

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 01:09:06 pm »
Start stockpiling materials now Will, you will soon struggle to get anything good. And making bows over 100/110 is a different ball game but you should be able to do it, their are plenty in the EWBS that will help.

Offline WillS

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 01:15:30 pm »
Start stockpiling materials now Will, you will soon struggle to get anything good. And making bows over 100/110 is a different ball game but you should be able to do it, their are plenty in the EWBS that will help.

Thanks Ian, this forum alone is so packed with people happy and ready to help that I know I'll be there soon.  My recent knotty twisted yew bow came out at 80ish so I'm not a million miles away.  I just ordered myself an Italian yew stave as well, so at some point in the next few years I'll be tackling that! 

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 01:22:15 pm »
This thread is making me want to successfully complete my goal of making a yew warbow pushing 100# more than ever.  I so badly want to be able to join the EWBS using a bow I've made myself!  I'm only 24 though, so I've got time... Patience, patience...
Twenty Four! I can't even remember that far back :-[  ;)
Del

Offline Davepim

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 05:11:46 am »
Glennan is really going for that, is this a new one you made him? I am sure I would have seen it by now, if it is new I hope to see it at Swindon, really spits them out.

Actually Ian, it was for him, but he thought that it was a bit short; at 73" it may not be acceptable for the MR class! :( I have kept it for me and made him another - you'll see them in Swindon for sure.

Dave

Offline Agincourtwarbow

• CWBS Chairman
    • The Canadian Warbow Society
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 08:43:33 am »

Actually Ian, it was for him, but he thought that it was a bit short; at 73" it may not be acceptable for the MR class! :( I have kept it for me and made him another - you'll see them in Swindon for sure.

Dave

That's a real pity Dave as that is a very fine bow!! I remember seeing it when you first made it but in Glennan's hands you can really see how small it is! Again a pity about that because it looks like it is capable of some impressive distances! Have either of you shot it for them anyways? I would be very keen to know! Beautiful bend, nearly makes me cringe to see how far the bend extends! heh heh lovely mate!
-Jake