Author Topic: Bow String Material  (Read 7904 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Bow String Material
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 03:17:15 pm »
pearlie talked me into trying d-90 and I'm pretty well sold on the stuff, strings are important, don't skrimp on them
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 05:13:33 pm »
I use agave.  Only had one break and it was totally my fault.  A well made agave string will last a while.  I reenforce it at the knocks and where the arrow touches the string.  This may decrease performance but the longevity you gain greatly outweighs the performance lost, which I haven't noticed hardly any performance loss.  I usually make the strings while I watch a movie in the evening and by the time a two hour movies is done I have about 18 feet of string which I double wrap over itself to get the majority of my final string.  I'm not going to say that it's the safest string or that anyone else should do it but that's what I do and it works well for me.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 06:00:22 pm »
I take the longer fibers from jute and wash them, then carefully twist into cord. could i use that to make bowstrings?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 12:26:37 pm »
Lately, I've been using the thin hemp cord from wally world (not the thick stuff).  You can find it in the craft section with the jewelry making stuff.  It says 20lb test and that's pretty accurate.  I've done my own tests and I found that the average is about 18lb breaking strength.

Another option from the dept. stores is to use multiple strands of thread.  The typical quilting thread (63% cotton & 37% polyester) tests at about 1.8lb per strand.  This is about the mid range for thread.  Note than many threads will stretch quite a bit, like anything nylon, so read the spool.  You don't want a lot of stretch.

Hemp doesn't stretch much and is a good, cheap alternative to flax or linen.  Some purists may think anything from the dept. stores is trash (most of it is, I agree) but if you test the material beforehand you can get good results.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 12:34:15 pm »
Forgot to add:  the formula I use for string strength comes from TBB:

Use a scale to find the draw weight of your bow at 15" and then multiply this by 10.  This is the total strength needed for your bowstring.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 12:34:55 pm »
Lately, I've been using the thin hemp cord from wally world (not the thick stuff).  You can find it in the craft section with the jewelry making stuff.  It says 20lb test and that's pretty accurate.  I've done my own tests and I found that the average is about 18lb breaking strength.

How many strands of that stuff do you use for a 50 lb bow?  How much does it cost? is the finished string it pretty thick?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 12:42:27 pm »
I use 10 strands for 50# bows.  At 10 strands, the string is slightly wider than 1/8" without serving.  That means you'll need to cut your own nocks.  It costs about $6 per roll @ two strings from each roll.  Maybe three strings but I don't keep track.

Note:  You'll often find that this hemp cord is not continuous and there will be a knot in it.  That's why I only get a few strings from each roll.  I make "continuous loop" strings.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:50:36 pm by jackcrafty »

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 10:34:52 pm »
I bought some of that stuff myself,Patrick. I have been using it for handle wraps. I've noticed it does seem pretty high  quality and have been thinking of using it for the lighter weight bows.(just for the thickness issue with heavier weight bows) Good to know. Thanks. 

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 12:31:57 am »
Yeah, I use it for all the kids' bows now.   :)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

mikekeswick

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 03:38:56 am »
Fastflight isn't much more expensive than dacron when you realise it'[s sold by weight and is half the weight for the same length...and the real killer it's more than twice as strong so you only need half as many strands.
Fastflight, d70, d90 etc are all made from dyneema. The only real difference is marketing!

Offline dbb

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 06:41:25 pm »
I buy my fastflight D- whatever dyneema from shops that cater mostly clubs and competition archers.
There are so many new materials and all want the latest "miracle string material" so previous stuff is often on sale.
Just takes a few min of browsing the webshops to find good value stringmaterial.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline adb

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 06:46:09 pm »
I use fastflight. Dont cut corners in the string department.

+1. A FF string is pretty cheap in the whole scheme of things. $12 on eBay.