Author Topic: Help with ELB lateral stability --- tiller check  (Read 4091 times)

Offline k-hat

Re: Help with ELB lateral stability --- tiller check
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 04:16:02 pm »
The extra length is what i just haven't gotten around to cutting off yet ::).  I started it out extra long just in case (good thing i did), and have moved my temp nocks in to where they are now.

ya i know she won't be a "longbow" at 66.  I thought I was going to come in under weight, but it looks like i'm actually at the low end of where i wanted to be (low 50's) , so I may just keep her the length she is.

As far as tiller shape, i was going for circular tiller (but not full compass with the stiff handle), but was going to leave the last 6-8" stiff.  Guess i'm not really going for a true ELB after all. 

right side is the lower limb, wanted it to be a touch stiffer so it'll come around in the hand.

Thanks for the input guys.  I may put a few arrows through her and see how she feels.  Thanks for your previous input Del on the stability issues.  She's settled down pretty good i think.  In fact, I may be able to string her centerline now without offsetting the lower nock :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 05:23:41 pm »
Lokks good to me Kevin. Is it taking set anywhere?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 05:55:29 pm »
At about full draw and she's taken about 1.25" of set.  It looks to be full length but a little more midlimb in both limbs, which I guess tells me i shoulda gotten the inners moving sooner and loosened the outers a little more.  I may do the latter before i go any further.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 11:44:23 am »
did a little scraping and got her out to full draw.  I noticed she had picked up some moisture and after letting her dry out a bit, the weight is back up to 55+# at 28".  that gives me room to finish up (round corners, etc) and stay over 50# which was my goal.

Here she is now, lower limb (left) is left a touch stiffer on the tree so it will round out in the hand (haven't been able to get a full draw pic in hand yet):

let an arrow loose from across the garage into my target box and it went through the box and into the sheetrock behind.  They usually don't get that far so i'd say she spits'em pretty nicely :)
comments and critiques are welcome as always.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 11:58:29 am »
Looks good to me :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 11:58:48 am »
Perfect......still.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 12:15:01 pm »
Looks very nice. Well done.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 12:30:37 pm »
Thanks Del, PD, adb.  I'm always second-guessing myself at this point, so it's good to hear.  Can't wait to put a bunch of arras through and see how she really feels.  got some ideas I'm going to try out on the horn overlays as well, so I'll post when she's closer to finish to get your opinions.  I had given up on her as my swap bow, but it looks like she's holding promise.  ;D

Thanks again :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 02:50:54 pm »
...  I had given up on her as my swap bow, but it looks like she's holding promise.  ;D

It's the prodigal son effect ;D.
Sometimes the bow that you thought was going all wrong turns out to be your fave'.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 03:18:12 pm »
...  I had given up on her as my swap bow, but it looks like she's holding promise.  ;D

It's the prodigal son effect ;D.
Sometimes the bow that you thought was going all wrong turns out to be your fave'.
Del

Ain't that the truf!