Author Topic: Bows made at the Classic  (Read 6435 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Bows made at the Classic
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 11:52:00 pm »
Great post Charlie!  I would be curious to know, also.  It is hanging on my rack to finish, still with a tillering string on it.  I intend to sinew back it in a couple of weekends.  I'll try to remember to post when it is done.

Jon:  I'll try to encourage the bow makers to check in with you next year if you (the club) decide to try your idea.

Having too many issues with a real snaky piece, I made a quick one Saturday morning to shoot in the challenge.  I shot the course with it in time though.  I was still scraping/tillering it thru the first ten targets of the course.  If you saw osage shavings on the ground, they were from me.  Maybe I ought to go back an clean them up!  >:D
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 12:19:28 am »
Jon, that is a great idea. I'll push the guys I help to sign up. I helped 4 brothers from beginning to end and many others that either asked or looked like they needed help. I'd like to know how many bows were built in total that week.
 Matt, I've been thinking about that lil snake. She's a tough little bugger. Keep us posted about her progress. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 12:32:31 am »
Thanks_Jon_ for the info.& that's a LOT of bows.Great idea about the prizes.That'll work I bet.I personally gave away 3 roughed out bows and a couple of staves while I was there.I seem to always have more raw materials here than I really need.Not just wood either.
Great story Matt.I saw you take care of a fella there with his first bow and you took care of him from the tip of his nose to his feet with everything but making an arrow for him.
Sounds like a lot of people get em shooting at the classic and put the final tweaking and finish at home.I know I did.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 08:22:14 am »
Good thread Charlie, I think Jon has it about right,heck Chris and Ryan made about 20 themselves.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D Love to see some pictures. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 08:43:38 am »
Pat:  She isn't dead yet!  To be continued...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 08:51:13 am »
Jon, I am not saying this to be harsh, but maybe it could become part of the rules?  You have to have your picture taken with the bow, before you can compete in the Challenge?  It only takes 30 seconds to get a picture.  Just a thought.

I only posted this because as we roam around watching all the bows being made, they will catch my eye and I will say to myself, I would love to see how that piece of wood turns out, only to never see the completed bow.

Maybe I should ask first, how many of the 60 plus people that signed up and registered, actually shot the bow for a score in the challenge?

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 11:45:24 am »
18 turned in score cards for the Challenge.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline RyanY

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 12:30:20 pm »
I shot the course but thought my score card would be better as a souvenir. ;D

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 12:37:33 pm »
Yep Ryan, I shoulda done what you did.  I had a rough start.  My score is near the bottom of 18, I'm sure.   :P :-[ :P :-\
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline RyanY

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 01:30:44 pm »
Here's the bow I made for myself at the classic. I'll make a topic for the other. Anyways, it's pretty simple. 66" ntn and 40 something at 28" but I've only been drawing it to around 25-26" (gotta work on my form  ::) ). 1.5" wide to mid limb tapering to 3/8" tips with a 10" handle and fade section. I also trapped this one a bit but I don't remember the ratio. Simple but shoots better than I do.  :P (Also looks like the upper limb is bending more than the bottom and it's bugging the crap out of me!  :o )

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 01:34:45 pm »
I see what you mean Ryan. If it balances nice then you have a winner.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 01:44:12 pm »
Nice and simple, very clean lines on that gem. I'd like to see a little more draw on it though.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 02:07:37 pm »
Thanks guys. It shoots well and especially so if I get it back to where I should. Just need to get that consistency down.

Offline whitefeather

• I love Gods critters beside mash potatoes & gravy.
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 05:34:55 pm »
This is abow I made with the help of Gary Davis. 58"ntn64@25 the last time we weighed it. I had a great time.

Offline raghorns

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 08:05:37 pm »
Here's one from a nice piece of yellow wood from Mike. Tip overlay material from Cody (thanks again Cody) I'm glad I brought my tools this year...something special about a bow that was built at the Classic.
It is really closer to 50lbs. @ 28 than 45....62in ntn.... pretty smooth shooter to boot.

Once again, each year at the Classic gets better.
It was good shooting with Rick and Darren (whitefeather).

Lyle

Live Life at Full Draw