Author Topic: PYRAMID BOW FINISHED!!!!! (Full draw picture)  (Read 24194 times)

Offline k-hat

Re: RED OAK PYRAMID BOW IN THE WORKS!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 02:53:11 pm »
also, a tillering gizmo would work wonders on this bow!!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,19540.msg269943.html#msg269943

I didn't make mine with the nut.  I found a round pencil, a drill bit a touch smaller in diameter, drilled, and it holds the pencil nice and snug.  I can make fine adjustments by twisting and pushing/pulling the pencil through the hole.

Careful, if you make a gizmo and use it wisely, you'll finish tiller in no time and the addiction will only get stronger! >:D

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 05:25:20 pm »
Haha it is quite the addiction already! Ive been wanting to try the gizmo for a while just never got around to making one but i think i will now. Thanks for the link and the advice!
Where there's a will, there's a bow.

PA subscription #: PM108452

Offline bubby

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 04:41:05 pm »
In my honest opinion, I say cut it into 1 foot long pieces and burn it.
Go find yourself a hickory tree, and make a D bow.
That's what I would say to any beginner.

??? That's not very helpful, or friendly, for that matter.

add one more Weylin, it's not helpful, friendly or an intelligent response, face to face we'd have "issues"
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »
hey Bubby I think face to face the only issue you have with him is that you would have to sit down with him and teach him how to make a bow . for him to say burn it   chances are he failed many times at red oak bows or has never even tried .  yet a lot of newbies turn out nice bows out of it . that's all I got  >:D

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 06:24:26 pm »
It's looking pretty good! Scrape the left inner limb (the half closest to the handle) for four minutes. I find it difficult to say how much wood to remove, but a duration often works. I don't know how many scrapes or how many grains of wood to remove, but it's just a guess.
The left limb will then be matched with the right limb. Then it is time to brace the bow! As said, the long string will lie. Put a short string on it soon, or you'll run a risk of messing up the tiller or coming in underweight. Gradually increase the brace height. Start with a string that is two inches shorter than the nock to nock length. Make sure to use a proper string and not some stretchy nylon or something.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Josh B

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 06:49:11 pm »
In my honest opinion, I say cut it into 1 foot long pieces and burn it.
Go find yourself a hickory tree, and make a D bow.
That's what I would say to any beginner.

Was that really necessary!?!?  I vowed to play nice on here, but that post really tested my conviction to do so! >:(  I wonder just how many people that bag on board bows have ever made one?  I'm betting not many.  Corius keep on keeping on.  You're doing great.  Don't let fools rain on your parade.  They ain't worth it.  Josh

Offline DLH

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 07:21:11 pm »
I don't post a whole lot but guys like Gun Doc and bubby is really what make this place go round. Not only are they willing to go out of their way to help new guys they will also correct others when they get out of line.

Offline bubby

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 07:29:55 pm »
I actually thought I typed that up and didn't post it, I apologize for posting it, not for thinkin' it but yeah for posting it, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 08:14:51 pm »
Hey Corius, how is that bow going 8)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 09:42:12 pm »
Sorry about that little outburst Corius.  Sometimes my inner Chihuahua slips off the chain and runs out to bite someone on the ankle before I can catch the little bugger.  I got all flustered and got off subject.  As to the bow, its coming along nicely.  Darksoul offered good council on how to proceed.  Its usually at about this point, when the bow is just starting to bend and showing potential that I have to make a conscious effort not to rush it.   Take your time and be conscious of every bit of wood removed from here on out.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of your progress.  Josh

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 10:17:31 pm »
Thank you all for the advice! I havent had time the past few days to work on the bow due to the long hours the army has to offer. But this weekend i will go at it and post more progress.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 10:33:51 pm »
Something.  That I learned from pearl drums was to make sure that all the edges are rounded like a small pea!I think this is an important step prior to tillering!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2013, 12:07:35 pm »
how does the tiller look so far? its pulling 50# at 17"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2013, 12:30:23 pm »
Looks like your about ready to brace.  With the long string it looks like the left limb is still stiff on the inner half.  When you brace it the tiller is gonna look a lot different.  It will show more bend in the outer limbs.  I would do a little more scraping on the inner left limb and brace it.  Lingering to long with the long string has probably caused more bows to come in underweight than anything else.  Its looking really good so far.  keep up the good work.  Josh

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2013, 12:33:09 pm »
your handle riser hasn't been faded into the limb, that is an important part especially as you get into the longer draws.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)