Author Topic: Clear Finish  (Read 3512 times)

Offline PebblePlacement

Clear Finish
« on: May 26, 2013, 06:55:17 pm »
What would be best for a clear finish on my laminated longbow?

I would like a thick "plastic" coating for protection and strength...  Will any product increase draw weight?

Two-Part Epoxy? (pros, cons)
Varathane?  (pros, cons)

What do the professionals use?

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
Re: Clear Finish
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 07:31:07 pm »
everybody has their favorites here , but it does seem true-oil is choice for many.
I've experimented with boiled linseed oil, Danish oil, and even teakwood oil but in my limited experience I have to say True oil "stays" the best.
the others may be fine for penetrating wood fiber, but they surface dull in time.
I've even heat gunned a persimmon bow treated with true-oil that took too much set, to reflex it,  and it did not blister.
 spar-varnish blisters on arrows when you try to re-straighten with heat.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline PebblePlacement

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 08:12:39 pm »
Does oil decrease limb resistance?
Does oil effect adhesives?

What do people use to make the thick plasticy coating like i have seen on custom bows?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 09:05:13 pm »
There's no way any finish is gonna raise your draw weight any substantial amount and I think the thick plastic coating your describing is achieved through many many coats of finish but I don't know what kind "professionals" use
I like osage

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:07:43 pm »
This bow was finished with multiple coats of tru-oil. Is this the type of finish that you're looking for?

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 12:53:16 am »

Offline PebblePlacement

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:54:01 am »
The TBird is a little out of my range right now PatM (and I don't think my bows are at that level yet :))
Beautiful finish Weylin!
Do you just wipe on the Tru-oil?  How often do you re-do it?  Does it protect from scuffs and dings?  Cost?

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 09:11:09 am »
Tru oil is great but likely not what you are looking for. Try the Massey finish technique if you want a thicker plastic coating on a budget.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 11:57:11 am »
actually bought true oil yesterday at an Academy Sports+Outdoors .  $6 for a 3oz. bottle which
is a good amount to experiment with on 4 or 5 bows.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 02:55:40 pm »
When you're finished with that bottle you should shop around online. You can find an 8 oz. bottle for a more reasonable price per oz.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 02:57:56 pm »
actually you can get a 32 oz bottle for around 10 chachings.  >:D i was shocked and outraged that i payed nearly 12 chachings for 6 oz and barely got more than 3 or 4 bows out of them... go online and do some searches.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 03:00:55 pm »
With 32 oz. you're going to run into the problem of having your tru-oil dry up and get gummy before you get to the end of it. Unless you're making 12 bows a month or something.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 04:05:29 pm »
If you want a finish like the professionals use, then you need to go with a catalyzed finish like Thunderbird or Fullerplast. The drawbacks are these finishes are expensive to purchase, produce toxic fumes, require spray equipment to properly apply and are a bear to repair. If you are making a lot of bows, then it makes sense to go this route otherwise stick to a finish you can apply by hand like Tru-oil, shellac, or poly. I've never tried the Massy finish so I can't comment on that, but if you go that way wear a ventilator mask and gloves while preparing and applying.
Gordon

Offline PebblePlacement

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 10:11:24 pm »
Great information everybody!!  Thank you all so much.
I think I am going to try the Massey Finish.