Author Topic: My first "real" bow! (Mulberry)  (Read 20342 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: My first "real" bow! (Mulberry)
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2013, 05:43:38 pm »
I use spray poly or tru-oil on bows I want to shine.  On NA bows, I use a mixture of beeswax and sprucegum I think.  I'm not sure of the composition as the finish was a gift from Halfeye.  Don't count on the yellow staying yellow.  Like Osage, mulberry darkens with time and sunlight exposure.  Josh

Yeah, 'sage and mulberry both look better after they have gotten enough sun to pick up a tan.  But then, I hate the color yellow.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Raptard

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2013, 05:51:27 pm »
Haha, ok i think i will just go with a clear "build up" varnish probobly
Don't Panic

Offline TatankaOhitika

• Primitive survivalist / bow maker/ flint-knapper
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2013, 09:30:08 pm »
Grrrrrrrr  >:( . Im too much of a purist to hear the word varnish on a primitive wooden bow . Either way be sure to show us when your done !
Keep calm , and camoflauge into mud

Offline Raptard

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2013, 09:46:49 pm »
well i'm not to keen on people wasting bacon grease on it either >:(
Don't Panic

Offline Josh B

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2013, 09:48:28 pm »
Grrrrrrrr  >:( . Im too much of a purist to hear the word varnish on a primitive wooden bow . Either way be sure to show us when your done !

Ummm....where does the artificial sinew fit into your "purist" philosophy?  If you believe arti sinew is acceptable string material, why not varnish finish? >:D. I have no problem with either and why should I?  It's not my bow after all.  Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2013, 10:12:12 pm »
Artificial sinew is awesome stuff .

Ya gotta admit, Gun Doc caught you on that one! 

We all pick and chose what we are willing to accept and what we will reject.  I personally consider a bandsaw to be an anethema, but will happily load fresh sandpaper onto my DeWalt quarter sheet palm.  In fact, I should go out in the garage, grab a Sharpie and write "hypocrisy" across my sander just to remind myself not to take this all too seriously. 

But I am really foursquare behind Raptard about not wasting bacon grease.   >:(

Offline Raptard

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2013, 12:25:27 am »
ok, i'm back, had a big essay to write and was tillering a little in my free time. i have pictures here of my tillering so far. first 3 are of 18" and second 4 are of 24" (i think, i can't quite remember)

http://imgur.com/a/kGvfW
Don't Panic

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2013, 07:06:43 am »
Put a short string (full brace height) on it immediately! You've been lingering on that long string far too long!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Raptard

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2013, 09:39:26 am »
I'm working on it! geez first you guys say to take a week to tiller if i have to and now you want me to slap a short string on it?  ;) also, i've seen alot on how to choose your string length but the one i see most is 4" shorter than your bow, is this correct?
Don't Panic

Offline Raptard

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2013, 08:32:15 pm »
ok, i think i am nearing the end of my tillering, i have a hinge on the left limb in the pictures, but other than that, i think it's working pretty good, i am just using para-cord as my string, it is about 3-4" shorter than my bow and does not stretch.
Don't Panic

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2013, 08:49:35 pm »
YouR letting the tips do a majority of the work Soften up your mid limb and fade on both limbs they should be doing more work then your tips but overall it doesn't look to bad at all
I like osage

Offline Raptard

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2013, 09:01:19 pm »
yae, i was kinda planning on taking more off at the  jiff container for the left limb and the tear for the right limb.

also on a unrelated note, what are these trade bows i've heard about? just bows you make for other people?
Don't Panic

Offline Raptard

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2013, 07:40:39 pm »
ok, well i think i'm done tillering (stopping while i'm ahead :P {sort of >:D }) it only has about a 25ish # draw, and is slightly taking with the string (most likely from improper steaming and then tillering). but overall i think it's a good first bow (by my standards). anyway it will most likely become my little brothers or my cousins bow so it shall not be wasted  ;D . all i'm going to do is put tung oil or a clear varnish on it and then an arrow shelf and a fishing string handle and it shall be finished.
Don't Panic

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2013, 11:25:45 pm »
I hope you plan on posting the finished product lol
I like osage

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2013, 11:33:19 pm »
also on a unrelated note, what are these trade bows i've heard about? just bows you make for other people?

Once or twice a year someone gets the idea to herd us cats into a group and do a bow trade.  There are rules and regulations, of course.  People decide if they can successfully produce a bow they would be willing to send to a (probable) stranger.  If they are feeling up for it they then submit their name, address, phone number, draw length, preferred draw weight, and right/left handed preference, along with bank account numbers, passwords, and where they hide the spare key to their truck.  The organizer then mixes it all up in a hat and sends the individual participants their secret victim, erm, recipient and it's ON!

We always strongly recommend you get a few working bows under your belt before jumping in on the trade.  We generally have time limits on how long you must be a participant here, and you must be in some semblence of good standing in the community.  Certain persons have failed to send out a bow but have received one in the mail.  With few exceptions those people are not very welcome in the bow trades. 

That's about it.