Author Topic: My first "real" bow! (Mulberry)  (Read 20346 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: My first "real" bow! (Mulberry)
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 12:54:31 pm »
The tillering gizmo can be found in the "how to" section, third sticky down from the top.  As far as the art. sinew goes, there's apparently two different kinds.  One is very stretchy and almost worthless for strings.  The other kind makes serviceable strings for short bows, not the best, but very serviceable.  I wouldn't use it for anything over about 56" though.  The longer the string, the more pronounced the stretch.  If your gonna keep building bows, buy a roll of b-50 and learn to make strings.  It will save you a lot of money in short order.  If you start making heavy draw long bows, even the b-50 is too stretchy.  Fastflight and the like is better string material by all means, but pretty pricey.  Josh

Offline Raptard

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 01:33:19 pm »
ok, got it, thanks. I guess i will work on both the tillering board/stick and the gizmo while i have my bow clamped.
Don't Panic

Offline Raptard

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 03:00:46 pm »
ok, well i have a problem now... i made a tillering board and put my bow up there and slowly went to my 12" notch, and the weirdest thing is happening, the thicker limb is bending more than the thinner limb!, i am trying to get the pictures off my phone but it wont send them to my email for some reason.
Don't Panic

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2013, 03:09:32 pm »
ok, well i have a problem now... i made a tillering board and put my bow up there and slowly went to my 12" notch, and the weirdest thing is happening, the thicker limb is bending more than the thinner limb!, i am trying to get the pictures off my phone but it wont send them to my email for some reason.
Welcome to the weird world of wood! :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Raptard

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2013, 03:13:46 pm »
here's the pictures
Don't Panic

Offline Raptard

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2013, 04:37:15 pm »
soo... I really don't know how to go about doing this. should I take off wood from the thinner limb like normal, or should I do something else...
Don't Panic

Offline Josh B

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2013, 05:36:01 pm »
Del said it best, wood is weird sometimes.  Disregard the thickness difference between the limbs.  It happens sometimes.  Just tiller it as normal.  This is one of many reasons why you can't duplicate a bow solely on dimensions when using wood.  Too many variations.  Josh

Offline Raptard

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2013, 05:37:55 pm »
ok thanks  ;D
Don't Panic

Offline Josh B

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2013, 07:33:50 pm »
WHOA!!!!!!!  Just seen your post about steaming it yesterday!   Stop all tillering!  You gotta let that thing get back to equilibrium before you start tillering again.  It needs to set at least a couple more days, preferably 4 or 5 more days.  Man... I wish I would've seen that sooner!  Sorry, I missed that.  I hope you see this before disaster strikes! Josh

Offline Raptard

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2013, 08:20:37 pm »
really? i was doing some research and for the little that i was bending it i saw like 12h was sufficient. but i think i will take your advice, put it back in the clamps and let it set for another day. since it's been out, should i resteam it again a little?
Don't Panic

Offline Josh B

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2013, 08:28:53 pm »
No need to reclamp. Your bends will have set when it cooled.  Your moisture content is what needs to adjust and that takes a bit of time.  Man am I glad you checked in!  I would have felt like a donkey all week if that would've blown on you.  Definitely let it sit a couple days before you do anymore tillering.  I know some have worked em the next day after heating (myself included)  but it really is an unnecessary risk.  Josh

Offline Raptard

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2013, 08:31:58 pm »
ok, got it locking up my bow so i don't feel like working on it ;)
Don't Panic

Offline TatankaOhitika

• Primitive survivalist / bow maker/ flint-knapper
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2013, 02:17:33 am »
Nice dude ! So far so good !  8)
Keep calm , and camoflauge into mud

Offline Raptard

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2013, 12:53:09 pm »
ok, so i might be going out  to the craft store later today for a school project, and was wondering what kind of finish i should use. i kinda want something that will bring out the natural yellow of the wood. i was just wondering if you guys had any favorite brands and what-not for this.
Don't Panic

Offline Josh B

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2013, 02:59:27 pm »
I use spray poly or tru-oil on bows I want to shine.  On NA bows, I use a mixture of beeswax and sprucegum I think.  I'm not sure of the composition as the finish was a gift from Halfeye.  Don't count on the yellow staying yellow.  Like Osage, mulberry darkens with time and sunlight exposure.  Josh