Author Topic: red oak board bow, will this handle hold  (Read 2244 times)

Offline mikebarg

red oak board bow, will this handle hold
« on: May 10, 2013, 02:55:20 pm »
I am laying out a 60" red oak board flat bow. I want the handle to be 1" X 1" .I'm going for a 40 - 45 # draw @ 27".
Will this glued on riser piece hold or just pop right off.

Offline tom sawyer

Re: red oak board bow, will this handle hold
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 03:01:14 pm »
Depends on your tiller.  If you tiller it to remain stiff at the fades it'll probably be OK.  Any appreciable bend into the handle and it'll pop off.  Given the short length on the bow its going to be a challenge to keep the area stiff enough.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 03:15:30 pm »
Skip the handle section at 60" and 27" draw. Its wayyy too short for your draw with a stiff handle.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 04:20:30 pm »
Skip the handle section at 60" and 27" draw. Its wayyy too short for your draw with a stiff handle.

Yea especially for a red oak board bow
I like osage

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 04:34:56 pm »
Yup and especially if there's no (or almost none) fade transition before your riser as the pic shows.  If you do a longer bow in the future, make sure that the limb thickens into the fade before the glue line for the riser.

If you want extra thickness in the handle on this one, you can layer heavy leather using CA glue.  You can shape it with a file just like wood, but it'll flex as needed.