Author Topic: Shrub ID  (Read 6183 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Shrub ID
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 10:29:34 am »
Russian Olive and Autumn Olive are definitely not the same.  Now that I think about it the thorns were only on the bigger branches and trunk, right below and a little to the side of where the twigs and small branches protruded.  The wood turned a pale yellow as it dried and tested at .83 sg when dried.  Really hard and dense stuff.  If you got a straight clean piece you might have better luck.  My piece had a knot and thorn cluster about every four inches.  Google said it is common to have thorns so that leads me to believe that not all autumn Olive has thorns.  Either way, keep us posted on it Clint.  Josh

Offline osagejack

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 10:49:28 am »
that is looks like the autumn olive we have here in tn, it really takes over has red berrys on it in fall deer love it and it makes great jelly,

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 02:12:37 pm »
Id like to say its honeysuckle... but I know it isn't. the leaves are totally wrong.
Honeysuckle is a great bow wood IMO.
It is quite dense.
If this wood is dense, it will probably make a good bow.

Have you had success making a bow from honeysuckle?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 02:47:38 pm »
Clint, I was wondering the same thing about honeysuckle.  I have it all over the farm.  But it seems pretty brittle to me???
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 05:31:39 pm »
Id like to say its honeysuckle... but I know it isn't. the leaves are totally wrong.
Honeysuckle is a great bow wood IMO.
It is quite dense.
If this wood is dense, it will probably make a good bow.

Have you had success making a bow from honeysuckle?
a crossbow prod. It shot well, and I still have it. I tried to back it with bamboo. the glue cracked and damaged the back.
I basically split a 2 inch wide piece 30 inches long out of a piece of it, then tied strings onto the ends.  When I bamboo backed it, I did not clean or degrease either piece.
I might make a new one...
But not sure.
By the way, it drew somewhere around #50 @ 12 inches.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline TRACY

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 06:26:46 pm »
Amur honeysuckle (Lonicera maackii)? I've got arrows in my quiver from some larger dia. Shoots and limbs and they fly great. The bigger stuff has a large pith in the center and seems a little on the soft side for bow, but I could be wrong. Someone here built a bow out of tree of heaven which I wouldn't have dreamed of using for a bow  ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 08:04:44 pm »
Watch that Oleander it is Toxic...  8)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 08:09:49 pm »
I left the handle area full thickness and thinned both limbs to about half diameter.  sealed the back with shallac and another coat on the ends.  I have a feeling it is going to warp on me.  I might clamp it to a post.  The wood was wetter than I have ever seen before. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 02:30:15 am »
I know gus, I got to cut this stuff all the time
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 02:32:12 am »
Amur honeysuckle (Lonicera maackii)? I've got arrows in my quiver from some larger dia. Shoots and limbs and they fly great. The bigger stuff has a large pith in the center and seems a little on the soft side for bow, but I could be wrong. Someone here built a bow out of tree of heaven which I wouldn't have dreamed of using for a bow  ;)

yeah I built a tree o heaven bow, I like it a hole lot better than red oak
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 02:42:13 am »
If I seen that here in wa. I would say willow in a second.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.