Author Topic: Natural mosquito repellent?  (Read 15175 times)

Offline TatankaOhitika

• Primitive survivalist / bow maker/ flint-knapper
Re: Natural mosquito repellent?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 02:31:13 pm »
My girlfriends perfume definatley would stave off any insect alive on this planet  ;D

But in all seriousness ANYTHING cedar will keep insects at bay . Smoke , and Iv'e had luck with mullein leaves . Tabaccoo for sure . Just experiment ! Just dont go rubbing poison ivy or skunk cabbage on yourself , or your gunna have a bad time .  >:D
Keep calm , and camoflauge into mud

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 03:27:50 pm »
thanks guys. the cedar makes a lot of sense since must bugs wont bother the trees even after dead. I think between beautyberry and cedar I should be good to go and both a readily available in my native area.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 05:55:14 pm »
Bear grease keeps away black flies and deer flies. not sure how well it would work for mosquito.

Here's a fun fact: many native peoples that lived in buggy areas evolved so that they no longer reacted to mosquito bites. As they had no repellant, and were bit so often, over the years they evolved so that they no longer itched! I once talked to an Inuit in Alaska about it, and he was unaffected by the large number of bugs crawling around his arms and face. Very odd to see, but quite interesting.

Jon

Offline Matt A

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 12:48:23 am »
not even joking but I think the Spike TV show (manswers) discovered that B.O is the best repellent. kinda be hard to stalk with a good stink on  :laugh:

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 11:10:19 am »
I experimented with beautyberry last summer.  It does make a difference, I'd say.  I use a ThermaCell in the garage in the summer and they do work incredibly well.  I know it's not abo, but am wondering if there is something that could be doable in the ingredient list - chrysanthamum being a big one. 

I bought a bar of soap that I haven't tried...yet.  Got it at a natural food/product store.  It's supposedly affective for keeping them away.  We'll see.  Perhaps soap making could be in your future!  Ha!  Another hobby! ;D
1’—>1’

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 01:52:24 pm »

we don't have mosquito problems here (maybe because we have busy purple martins?) BUT One powerful toxic substance I've found that kills ticks is a dab of white milk from a dogbane leaf. I've experimented with it a little. break off a leaf, dab the crawler and they either die on the spot
or walk around in circles till they die. Ticks also seem almost absent among large stands of dogbane plants.
NOW if someone can come up with a way to create a dog-bane spray as a repellant.... pass it on!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 02:28:16 pm »
Richard.  wish we had some dogbane here... just have dog fennel, similar but not the same. sounds like a promising idea tho!

Parnell, I have actually been thinking of trying some soap making believe it or not!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline TatankaOhitika

• Primitive survivalist / bow maker/ flint-knapper
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 03:59:30 pm »
You can use crushed dogbane leaves to poison fish for safe eating . I tried this on a small run off creek pool with hundreds of minows . They just float to the surface ! Took about 5 handful of leaves though . I reckon a 4 times that amount will stun larger fish .
Keep calm , and camoflauge into mud

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 08:55:40 am »
Behenders and Twistedlimbs, the lemon bee balm is related to mint. Next time you have a chance to collect it, notice the square stem. It is in the genus Monarda. One member of the genus is citriodora; commonly called horse mint or lemon bee balm. It contains the same citronella (citronellal) that is found in those citronella bug candles. I have used it many times, with only marginal results. The deet definitely works much better!

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 12:58:48 pm »
Here in Yosemite I use fresh bay laurel leaves. crushed and rubbed on or stuck in my hair tie.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 09:01:25 pm »
Ive never tried it but i read that black walnut leaves rubbed onto your skin will keep the skeeters away.
Steve Bennett

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 09:42:52 pm »
You can use crushed dogbane leaves to poison fish for safe eating . I tried this on a small run off creek pool with hundreds of minows . They just float to the surface ! Took about 5 handful of leaves though . I reckon a 4 times that amount will stun larger fish .

You can do the same with Wax myrtle berries.You crush them in a burlap sack andweight it down in a small pool and it will do the same thing.
For mosquitos,   Try crushing palmetto berries and citronella leaves and straining it with urine through cheese clothe. Then put the liquid in a spray bottle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stoker

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 01:33:39 pm »
On the prairies sage brush works pretty good..But planting the garden this weekend. The wife bought a catnip plant. Reading the tag it says it's a insect repellant. Might work - might attract cougars >:D
Thanks Leroy
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:11:37 pm by Stoker »
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 04:29:25 pm »
Walnuts will do the same to the fish as the above metioned plants too.  Happens each fall in the creek in front of my house when the nuts drop.  Those fish all die though because there is no fresh water coming in.

My wife uses citronela, lemon balm and lavender oils mixed w/ water in a spray bottle for her bug spray.  Bugs didn't start getting on me until I stopped smoking, now I mostly just deal.  I'd likr to give the cedar a try though.  I think eucalyptus works too.

Good luck, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 09:17:30 pm »

Well, I personally, would not consider using deet, as it is nasty stuff, and it will get into your system through your skin.  But if you are slathering that stuff on yourself, you would be much better off getting a "Therma Cell".  I keep one in my truck at all times.  I just got back to Florida last week, and we had some rain, and the little tiger mosquitoes are out in force.  As for natural stuff, speaking of Crysanthemums , what about the other little orange flower, which at the moment I have a brain fart, and can't remember the name of it, but you plant them in the garden to keep insects away.  Astor?  Anyway, it is orange, and is an insect repellent.  Also speaking of soap, turpentine soap is supposed to repel mosquitoes.  There is a good video on You Tube about making turpentine, and it mentions making soap with turpentine.  But with the Eucalyptus and turpentine, as well as Australian Tea Tree Oil, you have a strong odor to deal with, if you are hunting.  I just prefer the Therma Cell, even hunting.  If I were stranded, and without one, I would probably use crushed pine needles.  But the cedar oil, and the other suggestions are good.  Cedar oil, is also good for getting rid of fleas on your pets.  But make sure it is natural, organic, and not synthetic, or mixed with other stuff.  Anyway, Ryan good luck.  P.S. what about using the leaves, or boiling the bark, of the nasty invasive Maleluca tree.  The bark can be used to filter water to purify it, as it contains something similar to tea tree oil, and is an anti microbial, and anti fungal.  It is a relative of the tea tree.

Wayne