Author Topic: Skinny Osage... help??  (Read 4375 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Re: Skinny Osage... help?? Update
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 09:26:31 am »
Here are some recent pics..  I have made progress, but still can't get the bottom limb to even tiller with the top.

I shortened the fades.  i'm tillering wiht the gizmo, and just checking eight... @ 20" it's 40#, so should I take off a whole ring to get my weight closer to desired, then fine tiller? By my guess, I'd likely be in the 65# range now at 27-28"  I know, don't rush.. It just seems wrong in my mind to get perfect tiller, then have to remove a bunch of wood to get the desired weight...

blackhawk

Re: Skinny Osage... help??
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 10:15:02 am »
You still need to scrape more from mid limb and out...a lot of your bend is coming from the inner limbs and down by the fades...never pull past your intended target weight and NEVER past any issues in the tiller like hinges and flat spots,or having too much bend in one area of the limbs such as you have now. And weight wise you are closer to 60 pounds,and actually less once all done and shot in,and plus you need to scrape more to fix the tiller...so your prob only gonna get close to a 50 pound bow right now...so DO NOT remove another ring...it don't take much scraping and sanding from where your at to correct your tiller and hit your desired weight.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 10:43:30 am »
x2 what Blackhawk said! :D
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 11:05:22 am »
x3.  The difference in the thickness between a 65# bow and a 50# bow is remarkably small.  I mention this only because your remark about getting the tiller right and then taking off a "bunch of wood" to get to weight.  Depending on the set the bow takes, you could be very close to 50# after correcting the tiller and shooting it in.  Good advise from Blackhawk that needs to be followed.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 11:55:40 am »
That's why I ask!!  Thanks everyone!

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 07:24:51 pm »
Well, I scraped and gizmoed, and scraped.... so on and so on...  it got to equal tiller with good curves...  I checked the weight it was 45@26 and then sanded and smoothed..  I couldn't stand it.. I had to shoot it..

So far so good.  I do notice some hand shock, not horrible, but more than I'm used to, but that may be the difference between a FG and a selfbow..  I twisted the string to reduce wrist slap..

Here are the tips,  Do I need to thin and reduce?

I made the rest from a piece of elk antler and deer skin..

Offline TatankaOhitika

• Primitive survivalist / bow maker/ flint-knapper
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 01:55:32 am »
Just don't rush it bromigo !! Let that rain make your bow making time die down a bit . I forget the length ( pretty sure i'll scroll up after to check )  but if it's less than 60" long your going to want more bending mid limb and more near the grip . And always reduce your mass in the outer extremes of a bow limb . No sense of adding mass to slow the bow down . And if you go to far , always good to reinforce the nocks in sinew .  8)
Keep calm , and camoflauge into mud

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 05:47:56 am »
I'm itching to comment on the tiller or the tips. But I just can't. You haven't posted any pictures of a drawn bow (only at brace) or of the width of the tips (front profile). So I can only make a guess here.
The bow still appears to be too stiff in the mid- to outer limbs. But perhaps that is just the angle of the pic. The tips are also a bit too thick, but I can't see if you need to thin them down, since I can't see how wide they are. Tips should never be bigger than ½" wide and 5/8" thick; they can easily be 3/8" wide and ½" thick if you're careful.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286