Author Topic: Set!!!!  (Read 1675 times)

Offline SiongSA

Set!!!!
« on: May 03, 2011, 05:55:46 pm »
Hey all,
Been working on a plains style double curve for a while now, and set has been a bit of an issue. I left it alone for a month because i was busy with other things and it had only been pulled to 22" today i heaved it to 25" with cool results now i can full draw it, yay! but when i un braced it i saw that 1.5" of set had turned to about 3" (inc. string follow) i was like what the hell, it could have been invisibly braced the way it was bending! is this mean that the string tension is really low resulting in less power? is there anything i can do at this stage?
 Thanks,
            Sion SA

Offline bubby

Re: Set!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 06:24:02 pm »
are you talking about a gull wing bow where the tips are deflexed, also after you unstrung the bow and it relaxed how much set it their? Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:55:36 pm »
Follow happens. If the bow is tillered and designed well most of that follow should be gone after the bow rests a bit unbraced. If it stays, the limbs are over stressed.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:38:04 pm »
I make alot of bows in that style, the trick is to make the handle stiff as you can and that helps with the bow taking a set, what happens is usually the handle section is to thin and the set is the bow pushing the handle toward the back of the bow making it loose it's shape. you can also reheat your bow and put a harder curve in it to compensate for the set.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:32:03 am »
   Set is crushed wood cells, once its there it's there. Some where while building you over stressed your limbs. This likely came when you draw it from 22"s to 25"s you could have tillered slow to 25"s. I'd say the 1 1/2"s is normal and exceptable. You could sinew it at this stage and it may take some out but not likely all. But depends on the number of layers this can also matter. Heating won't fix the wood cells and fixing it with heat will only result in more set when draw ed again.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING