Author Topic: heresy bamboo question  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Newindian

heresy bamboo question
« on: May 04, 2013, 04:24:14 pm »
Do you think that you could use screw in inserts like on modern arrows with bamboo, or is there a product that is made for this?
I like free stuff.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: heresy bamboo question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 10:32:30 pm »
Do you think that you could use screw in inserts like on modern arrows with bamboo?
Don't.
Just take some dowels and glue them in.
Actually, you probably could.
drill it out and use plenty of epoxy.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 10:59:16 pm »
I don't have a taper tool right now to use the dowels so I cut the end off of an aluminum arrow and glue it to the end of my boo shaft. I know its not primitive but it works really well and to change point weight easily.

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:42:42 pm »
I just bumped Stringstretcher's thread on the exact question you just asked. In short yes it can be done.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline bhenders

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:18:09 am »
Seems to me I saw somewhere online that someone was selling very thin inserts for bamboo.  (Great help there I know).

Try three rivers...

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:54:51 am »
Seems to me I saw somewhere online that someone was selling very thin inserts for bamboo.  (Great help there I know).

Try three rivers...

you can use the cheap and readily available bamboo skewers found at yr local grocery
wild women don't get the blues

Offline scattershot

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 11:41:30 pm »
Not the inserts, but I use the screw-in points all the time. Just open the hollow center of the bamboo and glue the point in. Maybe not what you were looking for, but it works!
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:01:24 am »
Have you tried the duplex nail field point?  It is very easy and cheap.  Works great with bamboo or cane.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 01:29:51 am »
Drill out the hole so the shank of a screw in head fits tightly and glue in the head and add a wrap around the cane at the point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Newindian

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 01:54:05 am »
Drill out the hole so the shank of a screw in head fits tightly and glue in the head and add a wrap around the cane at the point.

That's how I was thinking it would work
Have you tried the duplex nail field point?  It is very easy and cheap.  Works great with bamboo or cane.
No I haven't, but the point of this project is so that I could switch arrow heads
I like free stuff.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 07:24:08 am »
Look up my thread on Heavy Hog Arrows.  I can be done, and it works really nice.

Offline bhenders

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 09:45:52 am »
Not the inserts, but I use the screw-in points all the time. Just open the hollow center of the bamboo and glue the point in. Maybe not what you were looking for, but it works!

I do the same but I use the thick instant glue and I put a light coating of oil or Vaseline on the shaft of the screw-in point.  After the glue hardens, you can unscrew the point and replace it with another if you want.  (these are just target points however ).

Offline Patches

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 10:16:54 am »
I bought aluminum glue on adapters from 3 Rivers that allow screw in tips to be used.  That way I can switch out field points and broadheads.  I have had not problems with them.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."