Author Topic: stiff vs bendy handle  (Read 2127 times)

Offline ssgtchad

stiff vs bendy handle
« on: May 06, 2013, 07:56:57 am »
This might be an old subject but what are the advantages of a stiff vs bendy handle (if any). It seems to me that the bending handle has been around along time but most of the bows posted here are stiff handles. Are they more accurate or is ita hand shock thing. And while we are at it what do you prefer. The best bows I've made have been bendy. Thanks for your thoughts.
Always learning something new.

Offline JonW

Re: stiff vs bendy handle
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:11:49 am »
The advantage would go to the bow you shoot best :) I prefer bendy handle 'cause I like 'em short.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 09:33:59 am »
I am pretty new at this but I think the stiff handle gives the option of a cut in rest and can be more center shot. It seems like the bendy handles are not much narrower than the limbs.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:23:40 am »
I shoot all bendy handles because I shoot off the hand and dont need/use a rest. The bendy also lets me "feel" the bow bend and work. I dont know why they are believed to produce hand shock but generally they do not have any. The closer the arrow is to my hand the more accurate I shoot and I believe the hand is more forgiving of realease or spine misstakes than a shelf or rest is.

Just one old guy's opinion however.
rich

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:27:43 am »
It's all personal preference. Right now I prefer my stiff handle bows but once I'm able to make a bendy handle longbow with a very round handle I'll probably use that because I love the simplicity of them.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:28:53 am »
I rarely set out to make a bendy, usually I grab a sliver of wood that would otherwise be worthless. Advantages of a bendy? I see none besides they are quick and easy to make and can be shorter if needed.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:54:28 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 02:26:54 pm »
There's advantages and disadvantages to both. A bendy handle bow doesn't need as much wood to make it can be made shorter and it's about as simple as you can get. A stiff handle gives you more accuracy less hand shock and is alittle more comfortable I think this is opinion I love both bendy and stiff handled
I like osage