Author Topic: Tree ID (Recheck on ID)  (Read 12275 times)

Offline Dvshunter

Re: Tree ID (slippery elm!)
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2013, 07:54:39 pm »
Find someone with a trackhoe! Probably save you some time. Find a jobsite near you and ask the operator to split em for you. Tell him what they are for and he might help out.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Tree ID Recheck because of spring.
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2013, 09:41:33 pm »
Ok, so here's what I've got at the moment. This is the mystery tree that i posted earlier and here are the spring leaves as well as maybe a bud or two. I'm going to do some research on what tree it is specifically, but I would like to know what you guys think as well.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Tree ID (slippery elm!)
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2013, 09:54:07 pm »
It looks like elm to me.  I don't think there is much difference in the subspecies with elm.  They all make good bows. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Tree ID (Recheck on ID)
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2013, 10:18:13 pm »
sweet! so aside from splitting would i want to debark right away? how long is a stave usually going to need to season?

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2013, 10:37:35 pm »
Last one is winged elm for sure.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2013, 11:14:50 pm »
sweet! so aside from splitting would i want to debark right away? how long is a stave usually going to need to season?
It really depends on  how soon you need to make a bow out of it.  You can split it, debark it, and rough a stave  almost to floor tiller and then let it dry indoors for 3 or 4 weeks and it will be dry enough to proceed.  Keep a check on it to see that it has quit losing weight and you will know it is dry enough for finish tillering.  If I rush one like that, I make sure to seal the back and ends with spray urethane or shellac to avoid drying checks.   

I would split it out into staves and leave the bark on it, seal the ends so they won't check, and let them dry till they quit losing weight.  If they are indoors where the bugs can't get to them and off the ground, staves can keep like that for a long time.

I think it is winged elm too.  One of the best bows I ever made was winged elm.  It loves a good toasting.     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2013, 11:19:39 pm »
Sweet, I may only want to get a few staves ready for summer tillering, the rest i would stick in my garage and leave there until I get back from college next summer. I'm guessing if I take down this tree I will get around 50-100 staves depending on if i can get belly splits out of them or not. If each quarter yields 3 staves then I get 12 staves per 6 feet. This tree is 12 inches in diameter and the other trunk attached to it is 10 inches. each are near 60 feet tall, so im guessing at least 100 staves? idk it could me more or less depending on knots and how it splits and if there is too much damage in one area or another.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2013, 11:56:36 pm »
I live in NW Washington, and didn't know elm grew in Washington! Are they native to Washington?
If so I'm going elm hunting, everyone says they make a great bow!

Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2013, 12:53:44 am »
I am 100% positive that is American Elm. No doubt.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2013, 02:32:54 am »
dmenzies1950, I have a BUNCH of them and they are all HUGE. I've seen them all over my city and I'm sure they are everywhere else too.
Bryce, Thanks for the input. I came to a similar conclusion although i wasn't sure because the pictures weren't clear. I hope to get these trees felled this month.

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2013, 10:17:00 am »
Last one has gotta be silver maple.
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2013, 10:46:35 am »
none of the ones i posted here are silver maple because the leaves i posted yesterday came from that tree...

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2013, 11:37:19 am »
Oh...  I didn't see those leaves.  It's elm.  :P
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2013, 11:41:54 am »
yep figured once you saw them you would know its elm.