Author Topic: Light Hawthorn Bow  (Read 5175 times)

Offline autologus

Re: Light Hawthorn Bow
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 09:28:25 am »
Awesome bow, I cut a common Hawthorn yesterday about 2 -2.5" in diameter, debarked it and sealed the ends and man is that stuff heavy and dense.  I know you have said it should be cured slowly, how long would you suggest to let it dry?

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline bow101

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 02:55:56 pm »
Awesome bow, I cut a common Hawthorn yesterday about 2 -2.5" in diameter, debarked it and sealed the ends and man is that stuff heavy and dense.  I know you have said it should be cured slowly, how long would you suggest to let it dry?

Grady

I'am no expert, but I have some that I cut early march, left bark on and sealed the ends, it's now sitting outside in the sun at over 80 degrees.  See what transpires..! ;D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 03:06:32 pm »
glad to know you can make a "light weight" bow :laugh:, like I said before I really like your style of bow making, I keep expecting to see one that still has leaves on it one day, you go from cut to bow so fast, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 11:09:35 pm »
Haha thanks guys!
Thanks Bryce, who needs a shirt  O:)
SquirrelSlinger, i roughed it out and sealed the belly and tips. Then i waited a few weeks and took the bark off. Then floor tillered, let it sit more, and then final tillered it.
Thanks PrimitiveTim, yeah, the doctors said it's a tumor. :laugh:
Thanks Jodocus, i added those with a magnifying glass. It actually works pretty good, not primitive, but ya could just use charcoal i guess.
Thanks Dubois
Thanks Hrothgar, this is one of the straighter ones lol.
Thanks Grady, i would probably cure it for 6 months (after being roughed out at some point down the line.) If you leave the log whole it can take a hell of a lot longer.
Yeah Bow101 this weather can really get a stave seasoned fast....
Thanks Bubby, yep i can  ;D That would be pretty cool, i think the leaves would dry up pretty quick tho haha  ;D

Thanks for the nice words everyone
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.