Author Topic: Geometry lesson  (Read 1958 times)

Offline bow101

Geometry lesson
« on: May 06, 2013, 12:09:49 am »
Ok so we have a log or better yet a stave to make a bow out of. Excuse the picture but kind of hard to make one in Paint Program.
So down to business how do you know where to start cutting, narrowing and working a stave to bow form, from which side (face).  Do you balance it on the floor holding it by one hand see where it lays or swings.? Which ever side is facing up, I would make it the bow belly.! Basically the heavy side would face down. Yes or No..??
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline TacticalFate

Re: Geometry lesson
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 12:17:54 am »
I'd choose the back based on knot placement, reflex or deflex of the stave, twist, etc. Since it seems like you have a log that's curved, I'd split it so one half is reflex and the other half deflex, so you don't have to do any heat correcting later, and you can always recurve the tips on the deflexed stave. That depends how big the log is though, what's the diameter on yours?

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:30:36 am »
If it is a slight deflex why not go with the flow..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:56:49 am »
If so, I'd choose the side with the slight reflex!
Don't shoot!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 03:34:32 am »
Yea and No :laugh:
It's called experience. I look for the best line clear of knots and a curve reflex/deflex rather than side to side.
Your balance between floor and hand is exactly what I do :)
I also work on the 'bad' half first, 'cos it gives me a feel for the particular log before I get into the 'good' half. Mind, sometimes the bad half ands up as the best bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:15:45 am »
Your log (in this case, a picture), with it's heart off center, will have tension/compression issues. So you would want your first split made from B to F. In a situation like this you would only want to take 1 stave from the center of the compression side and one stave from the center of the tension side. Any stave taken from the sides with have both compression and tension rings and will crook laterally...............Art B

Offline scp

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:53 am »
All good points. I would start with C-G split to quarter the log, minding the knots, of course.