Author Topic: Restored ax head  (Read 3544 times)

Offline IsaacW

Re: Rusty ax head. Not so rusty now.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 04:34:35 pm »
Coca Cola will strip the rust straight off it.  Don't leave it too long or it will start eating the metal too.

This is why I drink my rum, bourbon, etc. straight  ;)

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Dalton Knapper

Re: Rusty ax head. Not so rusty now.
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 07:04:43 pm »
That looks like a fairly old ax pattern - probably a real antique. Your story reminded me of a story from Ben Franklin's autobiography. Here it is - The Speckled Ax story - a look into perfection vs good enough. I suspect that you will prefer the speckled ax in the end...

"...like the man who, in buying an ax of a smith, my neighbour, desired to have the whole of its surface as bright as the edge. The smith consented to grind it bright for him if he would turn the wheel; he turn'd, while the smith press'd the broad face of the ax hard and heavily on the stone, which made the turning of it very fatiguing. The man came every now and then from the wheel to see how the work went on, and at length would take his ax as it was, without farther grinding. "No," said the smith, "turn on, turn on; we shall have it bright by-and-by; as yet, it is only speckled." "Yes," said the man, "but I think I like a speckled ax best."

PS - looks like a candidate for the wire wheel to me.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Restored ax head
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 08:24:39 pm »
Here are the pics of the finished restoration unless someone else can think of why its not done, aside from needing a handle of course...
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 09:14:28 pm »
That looks great. Do you see that dark band that forms the edge? Maybe an inch in or more.....That confirms this is an OLD ax. Typically, when an old tool like this was forged, the body would be made from iron - easy to get. The edge however is steel - a much harder material to make and acquire because carbon had to be added to make it hard, "carbon steel." Typically the steel was fused to the iron body through forging - welding with heat on the forge. It is an old axe. Put a handle on it! That is a beauty. Could be 100-200 years old from the look of the pattern and the iron/steel component method.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 10:04:29 pm »
Sweet! cant wait to get a handle for it and mount it!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)