Author Topic: Anyone Else the Lonely Archer?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline ncpat

Anyone Else the Lonely Archer?
« on: May 05, 2013, 04:47:24 pm »
Growing up, I was about the only kid in my town who liked archery enough to buy more than a dime store bow & arrow. I know a few others must have indulged, as a few stores sold some equipment. A nearby military base had an archery club, but limited to military families. I read books and kept my Ben Pearson pamphlet until it fell apart. So, I was pretty much self taught. Never hunted or did formal target shooting. My sister gave me a good 16 inch Saunders mat & I used that for several years, also made cardboard stops, etc. Much as I loved it, it would have been more fun though to have others to compete with.

Were any of you the lonely archer in your town?
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Anyone Else the Lonely Archer?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:13:08 pm »
Not many people my age (24) are into it around here. There are a handful of teenagers and quite a few kids, and also a bunch of old guys, but I am kind of on my own. I have gotten a couple of my buddies into shooting casually with me from time to time because I made them bows. But I am the only one who shoots seriously and bowhunts.

There is an archery & paintball club only a few minutes from my home, but they are mostly a wheelie group, and there doesn't seem to be that many people involved in it. The paintball section of their business keeps them going mostly I think.

Offline ncpat

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:24:44 pm »
I have seen a lot of people into compounds the last 20 years or more. I never cared much for them, never even shot one. I think I am among the few traditional archers in my area, far as I know.

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:12:13 pm »
I think that I am the only bow maker and shooter of wood bows within at least fifty miles of my home. Occasionally some one will show a little interest but they want you to make a bow hand it to them along with quiver arrows and all the other accoutrements. as soon as you tell them to come on over and I'll teach you to make a bow the just glass over and that's as far as it goes.
Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 11:44:11 pm »
Only ever met one guy that made his own bows and that was way up in GA.  We went on a hunt and he taught me a lot about hunting.  No one that I know of real close to where I live though.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 12:10:08 am »
I think that I am the only bow maker and shooter of wood bows within at least fifty miles of my home. Occasionally some one will show a little interest but they want you to make a bow hand it to them along with quiver arrows and all the other accoutrements. as soon as you tell them to come on over and I'll teach you to make a bow the just glass over and that's as far as it goes.
Ron
Same, but Ive got a friend. We learn together.
Other than us, nobody cares about primitive archery except the occasional neighbor who's just happy to get a tree removed for free:P
my friend only has a part-time interest....
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 09:50:55 am »
Same here....but honestly I wouldn't have it any other way....I guess being a teacher I like the silence the woods afford...
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline ncpat

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:59:56 am »
I am now 56. At this late stage of life, I'm getting interested in making stuff. I started small by making a very light arrow for my daughter. Her 20# bow is too light for just about any arrow on the shelf. I make her 1 from a 1/4 inch dowel, feathers I saved from an old arrow and point and nock from 3 Rivers. Shot fairly well but she put it over the fence same day. I will make her some more. She has a simple old quiver, rather small. I will see what I can make with materials I can scavage or buy cheap. Unfortunately, leather is out of the question at the moment.

I had time as a teen but no one to teach me the tools, etc. My dad wasn't a mechanical type person & my older brother for sure not. We didn't have much of any tools around, beyond hammer and saw. Didn't have the web then either. But I could have found sources, I guess, if I'd had some idea where to start. I did make a couple of simple, dinky cardboard quivers and built a target stand for my 16" Saunders mat my sister gave me.

I will make my daughter some more arrows and try some of them with self nocking and goose feathers I can find at a nearby pond. Anyone have a good way to make target points for 1/4" shafts? I can buy them pretty cheap but would also like to try making some. 

Offline Marks

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 11:34:05 am »
Not many people my age (24) are into it around here. There are a handful of teenagers and quite a few kids, and also a bunch of old guys, but I am kind of on my own. I have gotten a couple of my buddies into shooting casually with me from time to time because I made them bows. But I am the only one who shoots seriously and bowhunts.

There is an archery & paintball club only a few minutes from my home, but they are mostly a wheelie group, and there doesn't seem to be that many people involved in it. The paintball section of their business keeps them going mostly I think.

Why can't you make friends with the wheelie guys? I realize they wont be sharing in the building aspect but just having some folks to shoot with from time to time sounds alright. I started out with a compound. I still shoot and hunt my compound and will continue to shoot and hunt with it. I get along with everyone here just fine. I'm still working on my selfbow. I don't see why the primitives and wheelies can't shoot together.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 11:48:11 pm »
It was really like that in Northern Ontario, where I grew up. Thick bush and more of it for game to bugger off in. If you missed a shot, you wouldn't get another chance anytime soon. Mostly rifle hunting back home . Archery only season was brand new and only in a few areas when I started.  More popular now, but mostly with training wheels. That's mostly what's available up there. Meeting quite a few guys down here  in London though (through this site and the archery club that I just joined)

Offline dwardo

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 10:34:16 am »
Ron

Could have written that my self.

I would have killed for someone to offer to teach me how to make bows. For me its when I tell them how long it takes to make a bow that they glaze over. Seems that if something takes longer than an hour most people dont have the attention span required.
The next one then is "well you can make me one then" Then I tell them how much it will cost and they baulk. I then say well it takes me about 30+ hours to make a bow so if you want to come round and do my garden for the next few months you have a deal. Or come round and I will give you a stave and teach you all I know for free.

Doesn't tend to go further than that..

Offline hatcha

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 12:17:05 pm »
Occasionally some one will show a little interest but they want you to make a bow hand it to them along with quiver arrows and all the other accoutrements. as soon as you tell them to come on over and I'll teach you to make a bow the just glass over and that's as far as it goes.
Ron

I have to do likewise and say "I coulda written that myself"!

I've put some pic's of the bows and some arrows I've made up on Fecesbook and a few of my friends have asked "can you make one for me?  How much would you charge??"  I, not having a clue about "how much my time is worth" etc, tell them they're welcome to come up to my shed and I'll help them make one for themselves, I'd just be happy with a few quid for the initial stave (cos I can't just go out and cut down a tree for bow wood).  The look I get is exactly that glassy-eyed stare... :o   "I just wanna shoot arrows, not get dirty..."

:-\

Five years ago or so, when I found an "air gun & archery range" about a half hour from where I live, I decided I wanted a bow.  To me, the next natural step was to learn how to make one myself - not buy even a cheap one off a shelf somewhere.  I could never explain it to anyone that'd ask me about it...  It was just "the right and ONLY way for me to go". 

My friend and mentor lives about 35 miles from me.  I don't get to visit him as often as I'd like due to finances and the cost of petrol (gas), so I try to make sure I've accomplished something worth showing him when I DO get to call up.

I'd LOVE for someone to come up to my house, shoot the breeze, flip through copies of PA, scrape and rasp some wood, make strings...  Can't see it happen any time soon - unless I advertise :D

"WANTED - new BFF to hang out in a shed with.  Duties will include (but not be limited to) shaving and polishing wood, practice with cord and knots, bracing yourself and bending over a bench..."

Yeah...  I can see that working out juuuuust fine :D

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 06:06:57 pm »
Occasionally some one will show a little interest but they want you to make a bow hand it to them along with quiver arrows and all the other accoutrements. as soon as you tell them to come on over and I'll teach you to make a bow the just glass over and that's as far as it goes.
Ron

I've put some pic's of the bows and some arrows I've made up on Fecesbook and a few of my friends have asked "can you make one for me?  How much would you charge??"  I, not having a clue about "how much my time is worth" etc, tell them they're welcome to come up to my shed and I'll help them make one for themselves, I'd just be happy with a few quid for the initial stave (cos I can't just go out and cut down a tree for bow wood).  The look I get is exactly that glassy-eyed stare... :o   "I just wanna shoot arrows, not get dirty..."

Five years ago or so, when I found an "air gun & archery range" about a half hour from where I live, I decided I wanted a bow.  To me, the next natural step was to learn how to make one myself - not buy even a cheap one off a shelf somewhere.  I could never explain it to anyone that'd ask me about it...  It was just "the right and ONLY way for me to go". 

My friend and mentor lives about 35 miles from me.  I don't get to visit him as often as I'd like due to finances and the cost of petrol (gas), so I try to make sure I've accomplished something worth showing him when I DO get to call up.

I'd LOVE for someone to come up to my house, shoot the breeze, flip through copies of PA, scrape and rasp some wood, make strings...  Can't see it happen any time soon - unless I advertise :D

"WANTED - new BFF to hang out in a shed with.  Duties will include (but not be limited to) shaving and polishing wood, practice with cord and knots, bracing yourself and bending over a bench..."

How about chasing a ring? Yeah i hear ya.

Offline ncpat

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 12:23:14 am »
Ron

I can even see that most people don't have the time to make a bow from scratch but if they want to shoot arrows they could still buy one to start off with, and buy a few arrows. Not quite as purist as making them but at least learning to use them. Instant gatification is well ingrained now too. The moment someone wants something, he must have it with no delay. Wreaks havoc on everything and everyone.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 04:13:10 am »
Nobody around here I know of,I hunt with my cousins and they dont take my homemade bows seriously,you know the wheelie guys,,  ::)  hope to get one this coming year and show them a thing or two!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does