Author Topic: Shorty bow opinion  (Read 8194 times)

Offline Aries

Shorty bow opinion
« on: November 10, 2007, 12:59:19 am »
I have been checkin out all of the shorty bows that have been poppin up lately and decided to try one out. So as I left my 67" is best, no matter what mentality, I realise that there is a whole nother realm of shorty bows that i have only dipped my foot in.  I went down to my shot and split up (the floater) and got a nice 2/1/2" wide osage stave (close to flat) that is 57" long. I have it on my growth ring, and am leavin the layout up to your opinions of the best shorty bow design.   Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Kegan

Re: Shorty bow opinion
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »
Sinew backed flat D bow with slight deflex in the handle and flipped tips. Though, being Osage, it probably won't need any sinew. A favorite design for shorties from what I've seen- but that's just my opinion :).

Eric Garza

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 01:56:21 pm »
I'd agree with Kegan for the most part, although I'd try to keep the cross-section of the limbs as rectangular as possible to spread the strain out across the back and belly.  I usually decrown my short bows, and back with sinew just as an insurance policy.  I'm working on a similar bow from locust as we speak.

-Eric

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 02:00:36 pm »
I'd agree with Kegan for the most part, although I'd try to keep the cross-section of the limbs as rectangular as possible to spread the strain out across the back and belly.  I usually decrown my short bows, and back with sinew just as an insurance policy.  I'm working on a similar bow from locust as we speak.

-Eric

Whoops, I forgot to say a flat D bow ;D. Kinda important on stressed short bows :o!

Offline Aries

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 04:48:17 pm »
Sounds good, i dont have access to any sinew or i would use it.  How wide would you suggest i make it? and by fliping the tips, do you mean recurving,  or reflexing?  I have tried reflexing in the the past with out much sucess, what are your methods? I use a heat gun for my recurves.   Ty
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 07:39:29 pm »
What draw length and what weight?  If you only draw 24", a 57" osage bow isn't all that short and you could make 80# with no sinew. (assuming you have good osage)  If you want to draw 30" it changes a little.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Aries

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 08:12:58 pm »
I draw 27"  i would prefer the bow to be 50-60 lbs  thanks :)  Ty
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 08:13:12 pm »
Make it bend slightly through the handle and flip the tips up a bit and it will be plenty long - no sinew is necessary especially with a good piece of osage.
Gordon

Offline Aries

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 09:18:20 pm »
Ok, sounds good.  what about the width though? i have a steady 2/1/2the whole length of the board.   and Im still curious about exactly what you are sayin by "flip the tips"(reflex, recurve, working recurve)  thanks for your patients, i just got to catch on to some new lengo so i sont have to wonder later ;D   Ty
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 09:36:07 pm »
Im still curious about exactly what you are sayin by "flip the tips"

See the Hazel-nut build-a-long at the top of the page. I show how to flip the tips on that bow.
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 09:51:23 pm »
I would think if you follow Gordon's advice you would be fine with 1 1/4"- 1 1/2" wide.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Trapper

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 09:57:09 pm »
Well Im like Tyrell Ive never heard of FLIPPING the tips either , why do you change the words. And ive been doin this for awhile, Oh yeah I forgot this isnt 1707, I guess we can start a new word. Flip the tip HUH , That sounds like something I would say when ,,,,,, Oh well forget it.     Trapper

Offline Aries

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 11:11:16 pm »
Well I got a little ahead of myself on keeping up with posts, so right now the bow is 1/3/4" at the fades, tapering to 1/1/2" at mid limb , and on down to the 1/2" tips. And i firured that while i am doing something different, i will through a couple new things in with it.  I am going to attempt to give this bow a rigid, pistol grip style handle with an I beam arrow rest. These probaby dont make the best mix, but since i am trying somethin new, why not go all out :)   Let me now about any major issues i am developing for myself (what kind of crap i am stepping in  ;D)   Thanks  Ty
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Aries

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 11:14:41 pm »
I forgot to mention that i haven`t cut out the design yet, i only have it layed out. So i have still have room to change, if need be ;).   Ty
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 02:14:35 am »
Hi, As others have already mentioned a stiff handle is probably a bad idea.  It makes less of the bow take more of the stress.  Not a good thing, espcially as you are laying out fairly narrow limbs.  Just my opinion.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers