Author Topic: Cambrain on hickory  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Don

Cambrain on hickory
« on: May 05, 2013, 12:52:38 pm »
This is a question I should know myself but want another opinion.
I cut this hickory in 08. All the other stave I peeled the cambrain but for what ever reason not this one.

This should come off before working, correct?
Here's a picture.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Cambrain on hickory
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:12:15 pm »
yep take that sucker off, no cambium for that stave there  ;D
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 01:34:46 pm »
Yep. Its not hard to take off. Just wedge a draw knife or dull axe between the cambium and the the wood and it should peel right off, at least in my experience. On hickory I like to leave streaks of the cambium on due to the bumps in the staves back, that  create a cool camo effect.

Jon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 01:43:49 pm »
Yep i think the reason that is acceptable is that the cambium isn't one continuous layer taking the tension, rather its just there wont be taking the tension.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 01:58:13 pm »
Yep, that cambium will break under tension pretty easily and it might take some of your wood with it so its a good Idea to remove it.

I like to take the thick outerbark off first with my hatchet, then when its just the cambium like that I'll take my mora, start in the middle and get a good bite just above the wood then push down with the knife and work it back and forth using the stave as a fulcrum if the cambium is fighting back. Then finish with a little scraping and you're done.

I've tried the peeling thing but it doesn't work on every stave for me so I stick to the above method and it usually works out allright.  :)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 02:08:57 pm »
Yep i think the reason that is acceptable is that the cambium isn't one continuous layer taking the tension, rather its just there wont be taking the tension.

correct. plus you sand them down really thin, so the streaks are purely decorative.

Jon

Offline Don

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 02:24:02 pm »
OK thank you all.
This was my thinking also but wanted to double check.
Why I did take it off with the other stave's is beyond me.